I've paid for hosting. Don't know what to do now

TNC Discussion Board: First Website Builder: I've paid for hosting. Don't know what to do now
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Elaine on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 03:48 pm:

Help!

I registered a domain name with Go Daddy and have a "parked" page with them.

Next I bought a hosting package with Host 4 A Pound. I have logged in and looked at the control panel but am now at a complete loss and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of instructions to help me.

Can someone please tell me how I move my domain from Go Daddy to H4AP.

I have only previously used 1 control panel (Host 4 Profit) to make alterations to a website. I am now totally out of my depth (and sinking fast).

I'll be thankful for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 05:11 pm:

You'll need to "point" your domain name at your new host - log in to your GoDaddy account, and look for something like "Modify Name Servers".

Host4apound should have let you know what their name servers are called - something like ns1.host4apound.com and ns2.host4apound.com

These are the details you'll need to enter into your GoDaddy account. Once it's been processed, (this could take up to 48 hours, or be immediate - varies between different comapnies), your domain name will then be pointing at your new web site.

You'll need to upload your web pages - you don't have to wait until your domain name has been moved. You should have been told how to access your web space, and you can then use either cPanel (File Manager), or an FTP program on your PC, such as SmartFTP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By elaine on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 05:13 pm:

Hello,

Thank you for the advice. I did have the name server information and have followed instructions. Go Daddy say it is now pending and can take up to 48 hours to be finalised.

Can you tell me why there are two names?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 07:24 pm:

Maybe a backup server? I've never thought about that before :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 10:27 am:

I have written a web page in html how can I see this as it will look? Without uploading on to the web

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 02:29 pm:

You can open it in your browser, while it's on your PC (File, Open).

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page