How to Redirect Website Page URLS

TNC Discussion Board: First Website Builder: How to Redirect Website Page URLS
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dalora Anderson on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 02:04 am:

Hi,

This is a question from my daughter. She has created a page on a free site. She also has just registered her own domain name. Since she has the free site already finished she would like to use her domain name in her advertising. Isn't there a way that she can use her domain name with the free site under it so that anyone clicking on her domain name will be redirected to the free site? I have seen Redirect URLs somewhere, but I don't know how to create them. Is there anyone who can help me with this problem?

Thank you
Dalora Anderson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Monday, December 11, 2000 - 03:17 am:

Dalora,

Create an index.htm page that contains only the mega tag as follows, replacing "yourdomain.com" with the domain you want to redirect to. Then load this page on the server computer that hosts the domain your daughter bought. When someone hits the domain, they'll be redirected to whatever page you have listed in the meta tag. Here's the tag (replace the brackets "[]" with the appropriate "<" and ">" symbols (this board won't display the code below if it uses the correct symbols):

[meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=yourdomain"]

Change the zero to a 1 for a one second delay, a 2 for two second delay, etc. if you want a delay in refresh time. The only reason for a delay is if you have text on the page that you want someone to read, or an image you want to display for a preset amount of time.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 11:23 am:

help:) I can't seem to find any info on how to create the 2nd & 3rd page of a site. What the html code is for *next page*. Any hints appreciated.
Thanks
Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 05:22 pm:

Candy:

If you have created your Home page and named it index.html, then you have to create a new page and link to it from your first page.

I don't know what kind of editor you are using but, whatever or where ever you are building your site, there must be a function that creates a new page. Once you create the new page, name it as page 2 and then place the link to it on the first page as in "http://yourdomain.com/page2.html" this is an "absolute" URL, or you can place what is known as a "relative" URL "page2.html".

You can only use the relative URL within your own domain.
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joe Robson. on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 05:51 pm:

Dalora,

As your daughter has her own Domain name, she has to pay a monthly fee to have her Website hosted.

If she redirects potential customers from her Domain Site to a free site, she will be doing herself a grave injustice.

If visitors are to buy from her, they need to TRUST her. And a free site will immediately give the impression of an amateur who can't afford her own hosted Domain site. Result is no sales.

To be successful on the Internet, it's essential to have your own Domain Name. Your daughter has done that, so it seems crazy to redirect from that site to a free site, and destroy her business credibility.

Tell her to build a new site and advertise from there.

If she is posting to the Search Engines, she can post her free site and redirect to her Business site. But she shouldn't do it the other way around.

Hope this is of use,

Joe Robson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, December 15, 2000 - 10:09 pm:

Dalora,

I must agree with Joe Robson. If she is using her website as business, she should go with a website. Also, if you are paying for the ability to redirect using index.html page, you should copy the site over to the domain name instead of forwarding. Search engines definatly will not place any site that has redirects on their engine.

If the site is not for business, then, depending on the company which registered the domain name, she may be able to get the registrar to forward it for free, or for a very small fee. This whould eliminate the need to pay for a domain website, and fix the search engine forwarding problem.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 12:26 pm:

Just re-read Joe's post - so I guess what I am saying is not a good idea - using a domain name you own & redirecting it to a free page - at least not in a business sense - but it would seem that it would at least get the ball rolling until you learn to build?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 11:26 am:

Just realized the post above makes no sense because the one I posted before it - didn't post! daaaa
Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dan on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 11:33 am:

:o) IOt' Al Good We Shall learn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 06:39 pm:

I am reposting a question & answer I posted (answered by catchup) - I have had a terrible time understanding this & now that I re-read this it is clear to me - also clears up realtive vs absolute link for me. Just figured if I am having trouble someone else might be also?
Thanks again Catchup
Candy

/////////////
help I can't seem to find any info on how to create the 2nd & 3rd page of a site. What the html code is for *next page*. Any hints appreciated.
Thanks
Candy

By Catchup on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 12:22 pm:

Candy:

If you have created your Home page and named it index.html, then you have to create a new page and link to it from your first page.

I don't know what kind of editor you are using but, whatever or where ever you are building your site, there must be a function that creates a new page. Once you create the new page, name it as page 2 and then place the link to it on the first page as in "http://yourdomain.com/page2.html" this is an "absolute" URL, or you can place what is known as a "relative" URL "page2.html".

You can only use the relative URL within your own domain.
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 07:35 am:

Thanks Candy ;-)

Here's some more help on creating text links and using images with links.

HyperLinks

There are some more pages about formating images with hyperlinks also.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 11:53 am:

Catchup - very helpful info for me
will print that out - always get mixed up on the relative/absolute thing
Thanks
Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 08:28 pm:

Catchup or anyone - to submit individual pages to SE would I use the absolute url? Thus even though it is listed as a relative link within my own folder, once it is hosted & active, the browser will show the absolute, correct?
& in making my page is it advatagous to use the absolute url in the 'title' (not heading) to facilitate SE picking it up?

Am I making nonsense again?:)
Thanks
http://www.geocities.com/porett5/domainsforsale.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 04:17 pm:

Candy:

Supposedly, submitting your main domain name to a search engine will allow it to spider all of your pages. However, I have found it to be more effective to submit each individual page to the search engines, using the absolute url. (I think that is what you were asking?)

Also, don't use your url in the title. Your title should be composed of a keyword enriched statement. It doesn't even have to be a statement. Just analize the page you are looking at and pick out a few important keywords that are in the page and use those in your title.

Now, don't go looking at my site, because I have NOT optimized it at all for search engines.... since a redesign, I have not had the opportunity to really work on that. So do as I say, not as I do! :)

http://www.searchengines.com is an EXCELLENT resource for optimizing your site for engines, and even has a table which tells you exactly how to setup your pages for different engines.

Best of luck,

Josh
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 12:41 am:

Thanks josh
in this case I have a name that actually says what the page says - i.e if it were photosofdogs.com (not it)my index page title is photos of dogs
then I have photosofdogs/links.com (or should it be photosofdogs.com/links)?

also I have learned that the text of the 1st few paragraphs are important for robots & of course the meta tags

take care

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mark on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 12:29 pm:

Dalora,

Many (but not all) domain name registrars will offer some additional services that come with the domain name registration. One common service is redirection. Your daughter should check with her registrar to see if they offer redirection, and if they do, she should enquire with them how to set up redirection for her domain so that it redirects to her free hosted site.

Sometimes, the registrar will only supply the domain name, and the client must find their own DNS host (DNS = domain name server). Often, when you get paid web hosting, the web host will provide the DNS hosting. If your daughter's domain registrar does not offer url forwarding, you can always swithc DNS hosts and use one of the free services such as mydomain.com to host the DNS records for the domain. mydomain.com also allow you to set up url redirection for the domain too. But, as you can guess from the above it is a complicated affair.

Cheers
Mark
http://www.neaturl.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Margaret McGregor on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 07:52 pm:

Hi everyone! I'm learning, but I don't really have a firm grasp of all of this yet. I am getting ready to build my first website for business and get my own domain. I plan to host my domain on TNC. My site will be a content site. I am also a TNC affiliate and want to link to my affiliate site from my primary domain site. I also have a second affiliate site which I would like to link to my primary domain site. In addition, I want to offer for sale on my domain site access to training materials on yet a third site. I want to have a sign-up for an ezine which I plan to create so that I can start building my own opt-in list of subscribers. The sign-up for the ezine must link to an autoresponder that captures email addresses. Can I do all of this or do I have it all wrong? Or is there a better way to do it that would enable me to only advertise my domain and still get traffic to my affiliate sites and capture people for my opt-in list? Thank you.
Margaret

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 12:16 pm:

Hi Margaret
Hoe you're having fun! You can link to your affiliate sites from your main sites with a standard anchor tag - just remember to include your affiliate code so you get the credit. If the stuff for sale is through an affiliate scheme, they will probably give you the links to use.

I've been using Topica for my ezine - I've had no problems, and they let you know when they're doing maintenance, etc. I use the free service, but they have an ad-free paid service. They store the names, you can download them for backup.

Dianne R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Tokach on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 11:18 pm:

Making a home web page I have a question and answer page. After the questions are answered I want that page sent to me at my e-mail address. I can add a link but it only gives a blank page to my address. Any help would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By shine4789 on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:52 pm:

I am a rank amateur, and I don"t know how to get my affiliate links out there where they can be clicked. Also what in the world is an ezine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:51 pm:

An ezine is an "E-lectronic maga-ZINE". If you're a NewbierClub member, you'll get the ezine from Joe each week in your email. They are in plain text format - you can also get ezines in HTML format, like a web page but sent by email.

Affiliate links - these can be added to your website, or placed in your ezine, used in a signature when you send email. You may be allowed to use them in signatures for online forums - check the rules for each forum before posting.

Do you have a site or ezine?

Dianne Reuby

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page