Need advice on building an online directory

TNC Discussion Board: First Website Builder: Need advice on building an online directory
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Allison Matthews on Saturday, December 16, 2000 - 07:21 pm:

I'm interested in building an online directory, but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone recommend any how-to's, software, or web resources?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ppitman on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 06:56 pm:

What type of online directory are you tyring to come up with.
Would it be a links Directory with links to different pages on the Internet?
I have a Links page on my site at
Voice on Canada.com
Take a look and see if that is what you would like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By allison matthews on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 11:54 am:

Yes, it would be a links directory to various other sites/pages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 01:10 am:

RE: Your links directory;
Wow it's been a long time since you've been back.
Don't be such a stranger!!!

Anyway, there's tons of ways that you can do this. I've been working on a directory that is written in Java that is going to be pretty cute when it gets finished.

It is actually a folding, nested and organized list of links that resembles the windows folder view. You can click a catagory, or main topic like the folders listed in the left frame of this page, and open sub-catagories with listings under each topic to unlimited levels.

You can see a preview by Clicking here.

Just click on where it says "Wayne's Worlds" and you'll get an idea what I'm doing. Like I said it's far from finished yet but, I've got the basic structure of the script in place and all thats left is to build it and that just takes a little time.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 09:00 pm:

Catchup:

Nice to have you back! :)

Also, I like your navigation menu... very nice. Is that mostly Java, Javascript, or DHTML?

Josh

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page