Editing text on my site

TNC Discussion Board: First Website Builder: Web site editing.: Editing text on my site
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mike in irvine on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 05:09 pm:

I have a Web site maintained by a hosting company, but to save money I want to do some text editing I have in mind myself. I purchased the NewbieClub WebSiteBuilder (absolutely terific) and I have FTP Explorer. Using that program, I log on to the server with my ID and password with the intent of correcting a misspelled word on one of the site's pages. I find the correct folder and file that contains the page I want to edit, click on view, source, find the misspelled word, correct it, save it, return to the site itself, refresh and . . . nothing changes. I am unable to find anything in the Newbie tutorials about editing an existing site. Where am I missing the boat? What am I not doing correctly, or just not doing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 11:30 pm:

Mike:

Viewing the source will use notepad. However, if you save it, it saves it "locally" (on your machine) instead of "remotely" (on the web server).

I am not familiar with ftp explorer... but here is how I edit pages with ftp. First, locate the file, don't double-click it. Right-click and save it to a folder on your computer (or, you may be able to drag it, depending on your software).

Then, locate the file that you saved on your computer, right-click it, and choose edit. Now, depending on how your computer is setup, that could open several different programs. I am assuming it opens with wordpad/notepad.

Once open, make your changes, save it, then upload it to your site using ftp and dragging the file. It will ask to overwrite, say "yes". That should be it.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page