Paint Shop Pro 4.15

TNC Discussion Board: Web Page Design: Easy Designer Problems: Paint Shop Pro 4.15
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 07:46 pm:

I recently bought HomeSite 4.5.1 (HTML 4 Editor), when I registered on line, they gave me a free BONUS DOWNLOAD of Paint Shop Pro 4.15 (this is an old version, they are selling 7.0 now). After installing PSP and playing with a few .gifs that I have stored in a folder for use on web pages (about 200 .gifs, animated and still), I discovered to my horror that the PSP program had changed all of my .gif files into PSP files, even ones that had never been opened in PSP (they are all in the same folder). PSP is the only way that the .gifs will now open. I even un-installed PSP, and when I try to open one of the .gifs, a window comes up and says it cannot find PSP.EXE to open them with.

Can anyone tell me how to un-associate my .gifs from this PSP program? I wrote an e-mail to the makers of PSP, but so far no answer.

I should have known that anything that is offered for free (other than this message board) is worth just what I paid for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 12:30 am:

Richard,

RE: Can anyone tell me how to un-associate my .gifs from this PSP program? I wrote an e-mail to the makers of PSP, but so far no answer.

You need to associate the gifs with another program. You won't really un-associate them with PSP. However, if you use the Add/Remove Programs applet and uninstall PSP, you won't have to worry about it. In fact, that's probably the easiest way to get out of this jam.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By james baker on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 01:49 am:

Hi Richard hold down shift key right click on one of the gif's click on open with check the always use this program to open this type file and choose iexplore click ok and then you should be able to view the gifs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Sunday, January 07, 2001 - 03:00 am:

Tom & James,

OK, here is what I did! I used the add/remove program and un-installed PSP. Then went to "find" and deleted everything it found on PSP. Did like James said to do, nothing happened! Discovered the thing had not only changed all of my gifs, but my jpgs too. I deleted all of my gifs and jpgs. Went on-line and captured a new gif, saved as..... into a desktop folder. Opened the folder and it had already changed my newly captured gif into a PSP image and it would not open, and this is after I had un-installed PSP!!

What else can I try?

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 03:13 pm:

Richard:

Hold the shift key while pressing the right mouse button on an item. There should be a selection that says "open with...", select the program you want to use from the list, and check the always use this program box.

However, if that is what you did before and it did not work, here is what to try. Open windows explorer (windows key + E). Click "View" then "Folder Options". Click the "File Types" tab. Scroll down the list to find your image types: gif, jpeg, jpg, png, bmp, tiff, so on. Select the image type you want to change. Press the Edit button on the right side.

Under the actions box, select the action titled "open". Press the edit button. Press the brose button, browse folders till you find the program you want to use to open the file type. Hit ok, ok, and apply. Now the file should be associated with the right program. Of course, it is a lot easier to fix this problem following the right-click with shift method. So try that first.

Good luck.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 05:53 pm:

Josh, Tom & James,
Thank you very much. I had done exactly as you indicated. Now, here is the problem, when I arrived at the "file types" window and scrolled down, there were no jpgs, gifs, etc.., listed, the PSP 4.15 had evidently removed or changed them all to PSP Images. Even after I had used the add/remove to un-install the PSP Program, when I would acquire a new gif, it would be immediately changed to a PSP Image.

I finally did receive an answer (two in fact),from the Tech. Spt. of PSP but they were just giving me the generic way to associate files with a program. No answer as to why it was changing my file types in the first place or how it was still doing it after un-install.

You were all helpful in attempting to solve my problem, and I appreciate it, but it was to no avail.

After much head scratching, I decided to see if "Configsafe" would do anything for me. I had never even looked at that program before, but it has been on my "programs" list since day one and always loads on my task bar upon start-up. I read the user manual that is with it and decided to try it. I elected to restore my system configuration to a date that was prior to my initial downloading of PSP.

I am VERY happy to report that it worked, I once again have control of my image files and what program they will open in. It still distresses me somewhat to know that some insidious portion of PSP 4.15 still resides somewhere in the netherlands of my computer, but as long as things are working I guess I will have to live with it.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 01:02 am:

Richard;

If you have uninstalled PSP and reverted back to previous config, if you run scandisk, thourough mode, it will remove all traces of PSP. Or anyway in theory. You did good in config safe.

Bravo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 12:35 am:

Catchup,

OK, ran thorough scandisk, when it finished, it said it "did not find any errors on this disk". I will really never have any way of knowing for sure that it removed any vestiges of PSP will I? So far everything is still working fine and I have control of all of my image files.

Thank you,
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 01:13 am:

If you want to really make sure it's gone for good, run "Disk Cleanup" and click delete all unused files.

Be careful here though. If everything is running OK, I wouldn't worry about it, you're probably in fine shape. What ever might be floating around will eventually be cleaned up.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 03:59 am:

Catchup,
Thanks, but think I will leave well enough alone. Everything seems to be working, so won't fix it if it ain't broke. :o) But will keep this in mind if PSP raises its ugly head again.

Richard

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page