Hi I have a Questiion about a website I'm building

TNC Discussion Board: Web Page Design: Hi I have a Questiion about a website I'm building
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Different resolution/browser sizes  2   02/04 02:39pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtrimble on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 04:14 pm:

I was just wondering what size the Standard
web page size is . I'm using Print Shop and
they have different sizes . They say the
standard is 576 pixels X 960
wide is 720 x 1200 also you can custom size your
own . What would be best .

Ray Trimble
rtrimble@telusplanet.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 04:49 pm:

Ray:

The lowest resolution is 480X600 (that is Height X Width). If you want to avoid having people having to scroll at the bottom of the page, then that is what you need to make your resolution.

However, that size resolution is becoming less and less used by people online. The next step up is 600X800, and I would make your site fit in that size. Definatly don't make it bigger than that.

You should view your site with both browsers (IE and Netscape) and at different resolutions to make sure it looks ok no matter what a person is using.

For example, my business site looks HORRIBLE when someone uses netscape 4.7. So, I have to go back and downgrade my site so that it will look good no matter what. And that is just what has to be done any time you create a website. So, build for 600X800, but make sure it looks good at other resolutions.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

I use 1stPage 2000 - and the thing I like is that you can display your page at the three settings (600x800, etc) to see what it looks like on different resolutions.

Have you tried checking it in a WebTV emulator? Don't, you'll only get depressed! :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 08:13 pm:

HAHA... that is funny dreuby.... I certainly am not optimized for WebTV!

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 06:48 am:

HELP please,

I am building a web page using a Dark Blue left border 66x800(jpg). It leaves a small portion of the background showing on the left side of the border, is there a way to get it to cover that up? Also, I see many pages with links, etc, on the left border, how do I do that?

Thanks, Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 04:35 pm:

Richard:

If you are talking about placing things like images and pictures flush with the left side of the browser window, I can help with that. If I misinterpreted what you are asking, then let me know.

Replace "(" with the less than symbol and replace ")" with the greater than symbol.

(body marginwidth=0 leftmargin=0)

Just insert those two statements in your body tag. Marginwidth works with IE, leftmargin with Netscape.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 07:09 pm:

Josh,
Yes, you understand my problem correctly.
Thank you for your help, but it doesn't seem to be moving. Here is what I have, please show me where to insert the marginwidth="0" and leftmargin="0".

(body bgcolor="f0f8ff")
(img src="Element1.jpg" width="66" height="800" border="0" align="left")
If it makes any difference I am using HomeSite 4.5.1 as my html editor and IE.

I see many pages with a colored left border with text and hot links on them, how do I do that?

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 08:38 pm:

Richard:

As to placing text links in the left margin, simply create a 'text box' or 'table' (I don't know what you are using for an editor), and type the name for your link and then create the hyperlink to the page you want it to point to.

IE: (a href="../your_page.html")Text(/a)

For an image link;
(a href="../your_page.html")(img src="../your_image.jpg")(/a)

Replace all the () with the >< symbols

Place the above code inside your text box (table) and make sure (if you're using an image) that you place the image in the appropriate directory.

More on links

When you find a page that has something interesting on it and you want to see how they did it, try right clicking on the page and "View Source". If its the navigation in the left column that you are looking for it will be somewhere near the top of the page. Try using the 'search' function in the text editor you are using to find "keywords" in the navigation bar.

Study the source code and just copy what you want to use.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 12:42 am:

Richard:

Try to change it to look like this:

(body bgcolor="f0f8ff" marginwidth=0 leftmargin=0)
(img src="Element1.jpg" width="66" height="800" border="0" align="left")

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 05:40 am:

Josh,
It worked!! Thank you very much. I was trying to put it down in the image line, not the background line.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 05:45 am:

Catchup,

Thanks for the info and the link, I will try and digest what you said and see if I can make it work.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert Puddy on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:39 am:

I was just wondering what size the Standard
web page size is . I'm using Print Shop and
they have different sizes . They say the
standard is 576 pixels X 960
wide is 720 x 1200 also you can custom size your
own . What would be best .

Ray Trimble
rtrimble@telusplanet.net

Ray if you put your web page inside a table and set that table to 100% (instead of using pixels) it will display as a single page no matter what resolution they have their browser set to

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Keith Gomez on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 02:36 am:

I created a web site using Publisher. Now I have a problem as Yahoo does not support Publisher. How can I save the file I created into Dreamweaver that Yahoo support. I was told by someone that Dreamweaver won't compress my file.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page