Downloadable Files

TNC Discussion Board: Web Page Design: Downloadable Files
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By John Pratt on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 01:57 pm:

I have several files in RTF format that I would like to place on my web site and be downloadable by my visitors. How do I set up the HTML programming to accomplish this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 01:08 pm:

John

Create a link that ends in the filename, complete with extension, that you want people to download. So, instead of the link ending in ".../mypage.html", it'll end in "...mypage.html/myfile.rtf".

Obviously, remove the quotes.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Alex Armet on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 08:04 pm:

Can I ask please, how do I offer Fr*e books on my site.
Do I have to load them somewhere special ready for downloading, say as a zip file?
I'm trying to obtain the email address for my opt
in list what's the best way to go about it?

When I get a book I have to down load it.
How do I provide that service?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 01:44 pm:

Alex,
First check that your web host lets you have ebooks (.exe files). Some don't - also, check how much bandwidth they allow, as every time a book is downloaded, it uses up some of your bandwidth.

Upload the books to your site - if you want them in a separate directory, you can do that.

Put a link on your page so people can click to download:
a href="myebook.exe">Click here to download</a
(if you use a separate directory, make sure the path is right - "ebooks/myebook.exe" for example)

If you zip them, give instructions for an yone who may not have an unzip program - where to find an unzip utility.

Can you explain what you mean about an email address for your opt-in list?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Alex on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 09:50 am:

Thanks dreuby,
The part about the email address was in reference to capturing the subscribers e-mail for my opt in list...by offering a free book!

In other areas of the forum I note that people are talking about FTA.. is this pogram required to upload to my site?

Cheers Alex
N.Z. middle earth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

You can use a form to collect email addresses, but make it clear that they are also joining your opt-in list. If you want me to email the code I use on my page, I can - I'm not sure how to post code so it displays OK here!

I use Topica for my mailing list, and they provide code for a form - I think all the mailing list services do this. When I was giving free ebooks to subscribers, I put the page link in the welcome email, so that they could download their ebook. (Some hosts don't let you have a direct link to a download file - you have to have a page link, with the download link on it. This is so that people will see the ads which pay for the server.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By billanne on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:42 pm:

hello all,
hope you can help me.
I have a website
http://www.loveclick.singlescrowd.com

I want to add a banner on it, and also a guest book which I have both codes on it, I also want to add a text code as I am also an affiliate for the newbie club

can anyone help me, I hope so.

have a good day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 02:20 pm:

I like that "mouse couple" at the top right of your page!

If you have the code for your banner and guestbook, you can paste them into the page at the place you want them to appear. How you do this depends on how you creates your page - did you use a program like FrontPage or Dreamweaver, or a text editor (like Notepad)?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page