Copyrights and watermark concerns [part 1]

TNC Discussion Board: Web Page Design: Copyrights and watermark concerns [part 1]
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, October 28, 2001 - 12:55 am:

Because of the backlash of new images popping up on the web, I have grown more concerned with copyright violations. This is to do with images.
Most if they allow to grab certain text on their website, there is a disclaimer of such on the websites, for which have guidelines, and or rules for doing so. Images are a completely different matter. You have no idea who owns the image, till really it's too late, and a lawsuit is in progress. Some claim ownership of such images, and others use the images without concern to whom owns them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, October 28, 2001 - 12:59 am:

My concerns are that I would lots rather have permission from the owner of such images, rather than just putting a picture on my website, and taking my chances as to rather I'll get the dreaded e-mail, or snail mail from the owner asking me to remove them. But I am unable to find such a program tool to look for this watermark on the images in question.
I am not even sure as to what a watermark is.
Neither do I know if all pictures on the web have them. But I would like to be educated on this.
I also need a tool to help me to find these watermarks, if there is such a thing. That way I can reach the owner, and get the needed permission to use the pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By whenelephantsfly on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:23 am:

A watermark on a printed photo would be a word like "copy" splashed across the photo but faded out so that you can see the background through it. TIFF, JPEG, EPS, PDF and various MAC OS image files can contain information such as copyright, credits, caption, etc. This information can be saved using some popular photo manipulation software. Sometimes the image title bar will show a copyright symbol. Some images on websites have protections set up on their images so that if you try to copy it you will only be able to retrieve a very "pixelated" or blurred version. My website states on the bottom of the very first page "all images contained on this website are the property of ***** copyright 2000) or a copyright symbol prior to the 2000.

You should look for these things but I always assume that I need permission to use anything that isn't my creation.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page