How important are "Web-Safe" colors on a Website?

TNC Discussion Board: Web Page Design: How important are "Web-Safe" colors on a Website?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Terri B. on Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 08:58 pm:

Hello,

Someone suggested to me to make sure my website colors are "web-safe" & complimentary, according to this site -- http://www.colorschemer.com .

It suggests that, if your website colors are not "web-safe" (i.e., each of the 3 RGB number values divisible by 51), then some browsers may show your color as something other than what you intended.

I tried to conform my colors to the closest "web-safe" color, but it was way off from what I wanted. I ended up using a Secondary Color that was not completely "web-safe" -- (i.e., one number out of sink from that '51 system'), & I'm hoping that's close enough!

Apparently, the "web-safe colors" are mostly important for viewers who are running '256 colors' on their monitors, but perhaps they are in a Minority now.
BTW, that Site also helps pick better complimentary colors that won't clash via color palettes. So it seems useful.

Anyone have any experience in this issue?
Thank you! --Terri

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, April 08, 2002 - 05:24 pm:

I think you're right when you say most people are no longer using 256 colours now. If your colour scheme is absolutely critical, you need to be web safe, and check that it looks good with 256 colours, but I think for most of us, as long as it's readable, and you can tell which links are visited or un-visited, then this isn't the problem it used to be.

What does everyone else think about this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 08, 2002 - 09:46 pm:

It was originally that Netscape (when it ruled) could only display 256 colors. IE followed the same general rule.

However, I think this issue is no longer very relevant. Browsers can handle many more colors now, and are much better at rendering colors that it does not specifically have a set view for. At one time a few months ago, I read an interesting article which compared colors between browsers/resolutions, and the 256 barrier is not what it used to be.

However, it's still vitally important to view your pages in 256 color, and in 800x600 resolution for that matter (you could go the 640x480 route, but I don't downgrade to this anymore), and check out how it looks. Just something to consider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

Ah... for the good old days when your screen background could be any colour as long as it was black, and your text had to be white or green!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 10:40 pm:

haha... Well, I had very limited exposure to pc's like that when I was growing up. My family got an old TI computer when her office upgraded to win3.1. That thing was really cool. We used to type reports on it.

However, just as I am today, I wanted to tinker with it. I was only eleven or so at the time, but I thought I knew what I was doing. I broke it. Yeah, literally. Oops. However, it was good because a year or so later we got our next computer. :)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page