Moving a website

TNC Discussion Board: Web Page Design: Moving a website
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Moving from one host to another host?  1   05/26 11:00pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cindie on Saturday, October 28, 2000 - 09:38 am:

When I get my pc this week, I plan to mirror a website I have (if thats possible) I am on WebTV at this time. I have a Website in WebTV's pagebuilder. I want to as soon as I can catch on good. To move this. That way PC's can view my pages too. Can I do this? Or will I have to start from scratch? I need all the info I can get on this. Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D Reuby on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 07:58 am:

WebTV shows your pages totally differently to a PC - I just found this out when I checked my site on a WebTV simulator!

http://www.webtv.net/ has lots of help on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Sunday, November 05, 2000 - 03:37 am:

Cindie:
You more than likely will have to build your site from the bottom up.
Reuby is right web tv and PC are very different platforms.
If you have never used a PC before, you will be better off building your site from scratch and just copy the grafics and background images to a folder to use in your new web site.
And yes, mirror sites are good, but, you don't want to copy sites verbatum, change your keyword phrase and description and the body of the page to reflect the new keyword phrase. Got it?
The reason for mirror pages or gateway pages as some call them, is to increase your search engine placement. So make the gateway page different enough to convince the search engine that it's a different site.
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cindie on Sunday, November 26, 2000 - 04:54 pm:

Catchup,
I saved the very best I had on my web pages. I no longer have webtv. I shut it down. I tried a new page, and run into problems at get go. The first was the background. I'm use to html. but the thing is my stuff is on my pc. These advanced webpage builders are something else to behold. Not any where did it say I could browse my pc and place a image on that page. So just how in the world are you suppose to do it? The simple one worked, because you can browse your pc. But there is not enough options on it. And your page is set up "their" way. I want it my way.
LOL I hope I didnt overlook something.
Thank you.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page