How to add an icon in bookmarks?

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: How to add an icon in bookmarks?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jen on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 09:06 am:

I notice lately that certain pages that I bookmark appear with their cute logo instead of the normal "e". How is that done?? Help!
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 06:14 pm:

It's called a "favicon" (favourites icon). You need to create on and upload it to your website, (if your host allows it) - filetype is .ico

More about them here:
http://www.favicon.com
Scroll down the page to see how to create your own. IconForge is shareware, you can also get freeware icon creators such as LiquidIcon http://www.x2studios.com/index.php?page=products&id=11

The main thing is to make sure the filesize and width/height are right.

Dianne Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jen on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 07:20 pm:

Thanks so much Dianne!! I made some and they work! =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:06 pm:

So what's the web page? I want to visit! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Manic on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:34 am:

How can you do this with the Netscape browser?

It adds the icon to the "Tab" and "Address Bar" but NOT to the bookmarks...

In IE it adds it to the Bookmarks but NOT to the address bar...!!!

How can I get both happening in both browsers!?!?!

Help!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:29 pm:

If you're using 7.1, Edit, preferences, appearance, and tick (check) "web site icons". Older versions may be the same. Everyone else calls these "favicons", but Netscape like to be different.

I have to use Netscape for two sites that refuse to work in IE - there will never be a perfect browser, I suppose :)

Dianne Reuby
http://www.swindonvirtualoffice.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Manic on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:17 pm:

Hi Dianne,

Thankyou very much for your help.

I already have the "Show web site icons" box checked...

The problem in Netscape 7.1 seems to be the following:

Netscape 7.1 shows favicons in the "Manage Bookmarks" section, but DOES NOT show any icons when I'm simply in the "Bookmarks" section trying to select a previously marked page to go to.

Perhaps, as you say, there are no perfect browsers...

Cheers!

Manic

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page