ScanDisk And Disk Defragmenter

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: ScanDisk And Disk Defragmenter
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 09:18 am:

It amazes me how many computer users never scan or defrag their hard drive, then wonder why they have so many problems or slow performance with their computer.

Those utilities are there for a reason, so make use of them. Run ScanDisk in "Thorough - Automatically Fix Errors" mode at least once a month. Run Disk Defragmenter just as often, and watch the show by clicking the "Details" button.

http://www.senior.com/newbies/CaptainSpeleo/ehouse.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ken on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 08:06 am:

Defrag will not run on my computer. It gets to 10% then returns to zero. I ensure all windows are closed before starting.

Any ideas please? I use my computer a great deal and there is in excess of 8Gb material on my disc which has never been defragged

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 12:24 am:

One way to make it run is to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and End task on everything except Explorer & Systray
Then run Defrag, When it is finished restart your computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By laurconn on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 01:59 am:

I was told that before I Scan Disk and Defrag I must Close McAfee first. How do I close McAfee and why would I do this? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 04:01 am:

Laurconn:

You need to stop all the programs running on your computer so that nothing stops Defrag or scandisk. They are both flaky at best, and any program running in the background can cause them to crash.

Besides McAfee, you should turn off your screen saver, and any power saving mode your computer might go in.

I don't have mcafee, but I am assuming that if you right-click on the icon on the taskbar, you can disable it. Try that, if not, try exiting totally from it.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Laurconn on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 03:38 am:

Thanks for the info, but exactly how do you "turn off" these modes? Would you go to the Start up button and de-select each one so that it no longer shows in button right hand corner of taskbar? Would that totally exit me from using them?

Sorry if this question asks the obvious, but I just would like to ensure I do not click the wrong button. Thanks so much once again.

Laurconn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By catchup on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 07:17 am:

Laurconn;
If you right click on the icons in the system tray and select "exit" or "close" what ever it says, this will turn the program off. You can turn off all of these with this method and the next time you start your computer they will re-appear and be functional.

If there is still some program running in the background someplace that will not let scan disk or de-frag do its thing, do the 'CTRL' 'ALT' 'DEL' thing and highlight the program that you want to shut down in the window and select "End Task". This will shut down the individual programs and again they will start up again upon 're-boot'.

Catchup

Wayne's Worlds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary kendall on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 10:31 am:

regarding scandisk and defrag. I was told to use ctrl-alt-del and hit end task on eachprogram except, explorer,systray and ptsnood. Is this correct? By the way what is ptsnood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 08:14 pm:

Go to http://www.senior.com/newbies/CaptainSpeleo/ehouse.asp and read the article, "Hard Drive Maintenance, which will explain in step-by-step detail how to properly run ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By BBSBaby2 on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:07 am:

If you ever find that scandisk keeps restarting, and you cannot figure out why, just RESTART your machine, continually pressing Fuction key F5 and
opting to start your machine in SAFE MODE. Then run Scandisk & defrag your machine. Afterwards. reoot & you're done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 04:08 am:

Microsoft posted a message that using Defrag in Windows ME could cause the Windows not to start again. But they did not give a solution. So what should one do? Not defragment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 08:08 pm:

Anon:

I believe this is the problem you are talking about. It only occurs if you use certain Network Associates programs (like mcafee). They have a patch on their website if you need it. Micro$oft has composed a list of the programs which cause this error, and has a link for the patch. They also tell how to correct the issue if it happens to your machine.

Here is the article:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q275/0/03.ASP

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 06:23 pm:

Use this little free program and you will have no further problems using scan disk & defrag. It is highly recommended by the ZDNet forums and is distributed by PC Magazine. Set your screen saver to "none" before using, as that is the only item it doesn't shut down for you. Read about it before downloading, of course.

http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s%253D1478%2526a%253D10165,00.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Slearj on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 12:09 am:

Based on the text above, my questions might seem kind of basic. But I have three websites I'd like to launch. One that I got free, and one that I received along with a bunch of e-books, and software, and a third one that I designed on one of the sites that provide that service. I am hoping to get them going, but I am pretty much a classic klutz with computers. Is there something I could read that covers very basic info and suggestions about these matters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 05:51 am:

Re : Defrag will not run on my computer. It gets to 10% then returns to zero.

Took us quite some time to figure out why this was happening to a friend's computer even though all the TSR's were shut down, etc., etc..

Finally ! checked the automatic event scheduler, duh (!)(big time duh!) one of the Norton activities to scan e-mail was scheduled to run 24/7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:06 pm:

I am also having difficulty defragmenting. I have windows 98 se. I have tried both in safe mode, and with deleting all back ground programmes (except systray and explorer). Mine hangs at 21%. I am prepared to wait all night if necessary but I am on broadband and if I do not have my anti virus on, I am frightened something nasty could get through whilst the computer is on and without protection.

I did try it with my broadband disconnected, but it still hung at 21%. I had stopped background and screensaver, and changed the power settings to 5 hours on each. I scanned thoroughly first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:13 pm:

You need to get into your safe mose (I believe that 98 SE is toggling F8 during startup).

Do disconnector turn off your DSL modem suring this process, as SE's safe mode does "network".

Try running scan disk first, and cleaning that up, then run your defrag.

Are you using any antispyware programs, like Adaware or Spybot? These often help when a disk hasn't been defragged in a long time.

Take it that far and re-post your result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lilian on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 09:52 am:

I did all what you suggest and it worked beatifully. However, I cannot now get out of safe mode.

It didn't come up normal when starting up again. So I closed down, pressed F8 and found normal highlighted, pressed enter, but it still came up in safe mode. I am doing this in safe mode. So I do not know now how to get back to normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:59 pm:

OK, lets try an old "newbie trick". Shut down your computer, unplug it, wait 60 seconds, plug it in and boot it up.

Let us know what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:35 am:

I had same prob with Scan disk and Defrag. Then my ISP suggested downloading that Swedish Aware thing and presto both worked like a charm tho defrag took forever and kept restarting even when I thought I had closed all programs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ken Smith on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 08:21 pm:

Hey gang this is my 1st time here.I must say I'm impressedwith the helpful attitude I hear .
It's hard to find thesedays.Keep it up cuz I'llfor sure have a bushel of questions as the days go by.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lance on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 12:09 am:

EndItAll2 is available from PCMagazine by subscription only.
It is still available for free download from:
http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm
It helps immensely with DEFRAG and also BEFORE a new application is installed.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page