Weird "tinnitus" sound from computer

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: Weird "tinnitus" sound from computer
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Debby on Sunday, December 31, 2000 - 09:56 pm:

My computer makes a high pitched (whining) noise that sounds very much like ringing in the ears. This can't be normal can it? I already suffer from tinnitus so this is adding insult to injury. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Please e-mail me directly at: drks4849@cs.com I have an
HP Pavillion Model: 8655C Thanks for any help. Debby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tracy on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 02:57 am:

Hi,
Mine does the same thing. I'm not an expert, but I'm working up the courage to open it up and give it a good cleaning. I have a feeling that will help.
Tracy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Hugmaster on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 10:56 am:

Hi

I had same problem last year...it turned out that my internal fan was shot to hell, when I got hte high whining sound, my computer would slow down to a crawl, then seem to fix itself for a while...I took the opportunity to trash it and get a new puter *smile*

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CCDOnline on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 12:45 am:

I have had the same problem with my computer (and tinnitus too). If it is very high pitched it could be your monitor. A solution could be to degausse which sounds sort of like an electrical discharge snap when you do it. I find a degausse option on my monitor setup. Try some of the buttons on your monitor and you might find how to do it - or try your manual.

Also you can try to change the refresh rate of your monitor. I have Win 98. Go to Control Panel, Display, Settings. In mine, I then click a button called Advanced, and then go to the Adaptor tab. On there you can change the refresh rate - check what your manual says about doing it. If you set the rate higher it may kill the noise.

Good luck. !:o)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page