Drag and Drop?

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: Drag and Drop?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Scanner to outgoing Outlook Express  1   03/04 03:57pm
Copy and paste  1   06/08 06:22pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By marshmallowfudge on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 01:42 am:

I understand you have to right click or click and hold on the file you want to drag (or item), what i can't find is the total step by step, that you have to have a window available or an icon to place your item in, i have seen it done, but for the life of me can't find the process to work for me. Help please? thanks. 01-14-01.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 06:38 pm:

RE: Dragging and Dropping;

If I understand what you are asking, the best example of this procedure is to; Right click on "My Computer", select and click "Explore".
This will open "Windows Explorer". You will see two screens, left and right side, on the left side is your directory tree, at this point you will see all of the main drives like "Desktop" My Computer, 3 1/2" floppyA: C:/ D:/ and so on. Usually C: will be designated as your main Hard drive letter.

You will notice a plus sign next to C:/ click it. this will open your hard drive and list all the folders that are contained on it. If you click on one of the folders, (look for "My Documents") this will display the folders and files that are contained in the folder in the right hand screen. There will probably be a + sign next to "My Documents" also. click this to see the folders in the left screen.

when you find a file that you want to move or copy, right click on it, hold the mouse button down and drag it to the folder you wish to copy it to. Release the mouse button and select and click "Copy" or "Move" which ever you want. Always move from the right screen to the left.

A little practice and you'll figure it out.

You can also create a new folder in the right screen by right clicking in the screen (Open area) and select "New" then click Folder in the popup menu, name your new folder and you're off and running.

Catchup

Wayne's Worlds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lee Reaves on Saturday, April 07, 2001 - 06:31 pm:

I really need some simple instructions on how to "Copy and Paste" Can anyone help me?
My name is Lee Reaves and My Email address is:
cr03226@yahoo.com Thanks. Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 12:39 am:

Lee,

To copy and paste information between documents

1. In the document that contains the information you want to move, left click and drag the pointer (highlight) over the information you want to copy.

2. In the document where you want the information to appear, left click the place where you want to put the information.

3. Next right click and select paste.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Edward on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 12:36 am:

I need simple instructions on how to move a icon
from the screen to the bottom bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 07:20 pm:

Edward
You can add an icon to the task bar at the bottom of your screen by dragging the .exe file for the program and dropping it on the bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 06:42 pm:

I'm a newbie, and just found this helpful Newbie Club forum. Speaking of icons on the desktop: How do you remove the ones you want removed, and if I do, would the program still be in my download
files? Does having too many icons on the desktop have anything to do with slowing down my computer performance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 11:15 pm:

To Edward...
I dragged an icon into the task bar and dropped it .. Now my question is this: if I remove the one still on the screen to the recycle Bin and drop it in there , will the file on the task bar open and still have the file that it is supposed have.. ? Like I put the "irfanview" file onto the task bar and now if I put the icon that is still on the screen in the recycle Bin, will I still be able to click on the "irfanview" icon in the task bar and be able to get the program of the "irfanview" file to open ?
Thanks !
Eva

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:07 am:

Eva,
I am not Edward, but here is your answer, if the icon on the screen has a small arrow on the bottom left corner, that identifies it as a "shortcut" and you can safely delete it and the application will still work from the taskbar. Simply right click on the shortcut, then left click on "Delete" from the pop-out menu and it will go to the recycle bin. If you should happen to send an Icon that is not a shortcut to the recycle bin, you can re-activate it from the recycle bin back to its original location by single clicking to highlight it, then on the left side of the recycle window, click on "Restore".

I suspect however, that you downloaded Irfanview to your desktop and the icon on your screen is not a shortcut, but the application itself, if so, do not delete it, or you will lose it. Instead right click on it and "Copy" it then "Paste" it in another folder where it will be off of your desktop. You could drag and drop it in the "My Documents" folder if you want to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:13 am:

Eva, if you copy and paste it to another location,(folder) then you can delete the one from your screen (desktop).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 10:46 am:

Thank you Richard ; The icon had a small arrow on the bottom left corner.. I deleted it from the desktop. ( sorry I had been calling the desktop, "the screen" ..Im still a dumbie that is learning)
Would the same process still work for a folder on the desk top to be put on the task bar ? How will it show what name it is ? I created a Social Security folder shortcut and it is on the desktop. Can it go to the task bar and still say "SS" on it? That would make it more private for me if anyone would see the desktop..Thanks
Eva

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 12:02 am:

Eva, Yes, you can put your SS shortcut on the task bar. Actually, for clarities sake, where you are putting them is on the "Quick Launch" portion of the task bar. If you hover the pointer over any icon on the quick launch bar a little description will appear for each one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 12:33 am:

Really.."Quick Launch"? Well, I'll be.. I hadn't heard that one .. Ok , I'll try that.. Be back in a short to report..
Eva

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 12:38 am:

Hey Richard,
Wow! It worked.. Thanks.. I like that.. My desktop , [notice I called it desktop instead of screen ? ] , was getting so cluttered.. Now I can do some "house cleaning"...Thanks !
Eva

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:26 am:

Eva, I guess I should have ask if in fact, you had the quick launch bar active. If you right click on an empty spot on the task bar you will get a pop-up menu, click on toolbars and see which options are active, they will have a check by them if they are active. If you click on one with a check mark, it will make that inactive, if you click on one that is inactive it will make it active. You can add an address box on there if you like.

If you should drag more things to the quick launch bar (you can add them even if it looks full, just go between them) you will see something that looks like 2 sideways chevrons (>>), if you click on the chevrons, it will show you whatever is hidden from view.

You are picking up the "Lingo", pretty soon you will be impressing your friends. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:37 am:

Thanks Richard, You are a great help.. I'll try the address bar, as I am always wanting it ..
Eva

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By SteveC-BPCA on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:58 pm:

Try going to http://www.geocities.com/steve_costello/Novice_SIG.html
for some very basic information on copy, cut & paste, and other Windows basics, that I have posted and found useful for the Novice members of our group www.bpca.com, here in the Broward County Florida area.
Members of our group have indicated via feedback that these instructions seem easy to follow and even the so called "gurus" sometimes need a refresher in some things the don't use that often.
I hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:24 pm:

Eva, if it should happen that when you make the address window on the task bar that you don't see it because you have too many icons taking up the space on the task bar, you will see what appears to be a vertical bar, hover the pointer on the vertical bar until it turns into a double pointed arrow, left click and drag to the left, that will open the address window for you, you can make it as large or small as you want. Even when it is small, you can still type in a URL in it, you just won't see all of it, once you have typed in the URL, push "Enter: on your keyboard and it will take you to the page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 02:27 am:

Just wanted to say I got a good refresher on the subjects posted, and enjoyed reviewing them.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page