Tom's Recent "msconfig" tip, what?

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: Tom's Recent "msconfig" tip, what?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Partial sound loss..  1   11/15 10:14pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta Woehst on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 05:26 am:

Ok, I went to Start-Run-msconfig-Start up, now what? I unchecked Money Agent, Real Tray, and MS Office Start Up, but now I am stuck to what else I can do without on start up. Most of the other things I do not know what they do so I do not know if I am using them or not. Eight of them have to do with McAfee, do I need all eight? Here is the list of checked items.

Scan Registry - System Tray - Load Power Profile - Compaq Internet Set Up - CISrvr Program - Service Connection - Avconsole EXE (McAfee) - Visecomr EXE (McAfee) - Vs Stat EXE (McAfee) -OEMCLEANUP - EM_EXEC - McAfee Web ScanX (listed twice) - Vshwin32EXE (listed twice) - Load Power Profile - Scheduling Agent - CPQDFWAG - McAfee Web ScanX - Vshwin32EXE - BackWeb - Win Gauge (McAfee) - Image & Restore (McAfee)

Help me pretty please.

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta Woehst on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 04:34 am:

OK, give me some feed back here. I have already discovered you don't uncheck MS Office without losing some fuctions. It's back on. Now if someone could tell me if I can turn off some of those I have listed in the pervious messages I would appreciate it.

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 08:02 pm:

Loretta:

Without knowing your system and how it works, I cannot really give too much advice on which to remove and which to leave alone. I can tell you some NOT to take off:

Scan Registry, System Tray, Load Power Profile, all the mcaffee stuff.

As for the rest, I don't know. That doesn't mean that they can be done away with. You will just have to do like the MS Office one: remove one at a time, reboot, make sure everything works fine. Then move on to the next.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Friday, February 09, 2001 - 09:01 am:

Loretta:

You can definitely uncheck WebScanX and Avconsole. McAfee VirusScan will actually run better without them.

You can probably also uncheck Internet Setup and Scheduling Agent.

Sometimes, a little experimenting is needed to decide what you can do without. Just do one item at a time though, so if you do have a problem, you know which one to go back and recheck.

By the way, if you have items listed in the Startup folder, odds are that you don't need any of them in there. Right-click Start, click Open, double-click Programs, then double-click Startup. To delete an icon in there, just right-click it, then click Delete.

http://www.senior.com/newbies/CaptainSpeleo/ehouse.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joseph Rathjen on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 08:14 pm:

The only two things you really cannot delete from the startup (msconfig) is Explorer and System Tray as Windows need these to operate.

To get a complete listing of all the important programs that you may find on your StartUp registry, go to this site. It will give you a complete listing of anything you may find, what it does and if it's save to uncheck.

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/

Hope this helps,
thechief

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta Woehst on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 10:08 am:

Thanks you guys, you have been a big help. I wonder what I did before there was a Newbie board? Oh, I remember, I did no anything.

Sorry my thanks is so late, I have been busy and forgot to come back to the board.

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 06:30 am:

hello there,

this is the first time i'm posting a question. here goes-

ok, i tried the tip with the run\msconfig thingy but decided not to do anything when i cancelled the window another one pops up and

"the program has done an illegal operation please close.."

so i closed it and the blue screen appears. i press a button and lo!

"kernel 386 has caused a general protection fault in ...."something like that. this problem has been happening more frequently of late, with many other programs too! especially IE. can you tell me why and if possible how to fix it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 06:37 pm:

Anon:

First, make sure you have Win98 installed. (If you aren't sure, right-click on my computer, left click on properties, and look on the top right of the screen that pops up.)

If so, click start, run. Type in 'sfc' without the quotes and hit enter. Run this to check and make sure all of your system files are in working order.

If that doesn't run, or you get error messages, click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information. From the tools menu, choose system file checker. Run that.

This should help fix some of the error problems. Once all this is done, Run a disk cleanup (start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup.)

Reboot your computer.

Try to run msconfig again.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 07:47 am:

thanks Josh,

I found out that i had a few corrupted files. I didn't know abt the 'sfc' program before this. you'll probably be seeing more of me soon (i have lots of problems) thanks again.
:D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 04:01 pm:

Anon:

Glad to help! (Every now and then I give good advice...nice to know that sometimes it works) :)

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pennysworth on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 10:11 pm:

Okay I tried to run the sfc and here is what it found.

Possible corrupted file.
user.exe

Asked if I wanted to restore from my disc. But then it cannot find the file on my disc. Which is a restore disc that came with my computer.

Which is an e-machine tower that I bought 2 years ago. So where can I get this file or what is this file for?

I just reformatted the drive yesterday.

Which I have had to do alot of time with this machine. And that is what the tech people at emachines tell me to do everytime I call them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:01 am:

You should NOT be reformatting and starting over just because an error pops up. That is called minimum wage tech support people that don't know how to fix the problem. (Sorry to be so blunt)

What you do, is say "restore from disk". Then, insert your windows98 cd-rom. You may have to click a browse button, then chose your cd-rom drive (d or e) and then a win98 folder. However, with an e-machines you may not get the win98 cd, you may get a "system restore" disk instead. Either way, insert that cd, then click "browse", choose your cd-rom directory, and in the win98 folder.

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Steve on Saturday, December 08, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

To Loretta and anyone else running a Compaq. In the minutes you can also uncheck the Service Connection. Compaq has discontinued this service and integrated it with Windows Update. One word of caution. I downloaded 2 Compaq updates from Windows Update and one killed my sound and the other had me crashing every two minutes. I'd say they haven't perfected the way the updates are determined for each Compaq computer yet so be careful folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mharley on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 01:34 pm:

When useing msconfig/startup folder. I know what I want to take off the start up list. But each time I reboot some of the programs start up again even when I did't use them in the last "session". Others will reappear even if I do use them...Is there a way to take these programs off without deleting said program?? A good example is iomega ware. It is a zip drive user program and I only use it once it a great while, but it thinks it has to run all the time. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseph422 on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 02:24 pm:

Josh

Is there a system file checker in Windows Me? I couldn't find one in the tools menu of System Information.

Joseph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 07:34 pm:

Not sure, Joseph.
I only used ME on my machine for about 3 weeks before I took it off. I hate it with a passion.

However, just try it and see if it works.
Click start/ run.

Type in "sfc" without the quotes. Hit enter.

If it starts up, you are good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joseph422 on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 09:50 pm:

Thanks Josh, I will give it a try

Joseph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Robert on Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

There is no sfc function in windows ME.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 05:12 pm:

Just another reason not to use it. It's a crap crap crap OS release.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 08:01 pm:

HI,Josh.Glad someone can help. I have WindowsXp,When I Start/Run/type in msconfig I get error messege.Windows cannot find.Look in programs no luck.Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Global Home typists on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 11:46 pm:

... Are you looking to work from home? Do you want to set your own hours? We are now hiring clerical ad typists to type our ads into website directories. ...
Please visit: http://www.globalhometypists.net/nqi

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page