Why don't my Norton's and Gator get along?

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: Why don't my Norton's and Gator get along?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Monday, March 05, 2001 - 10:47 pm:

Hi,

It seems to me every few weeks, I have a problem
with Norton and Gator. I'll start getting a lot
of "error" messages. Maybe 10 in a row. When I
reboot, it'll come back with a window that says,
"Windows is running in safe-mode. This special diagnostic mode enables you to fix the problem. Make sure settings are correct in Control Panel, and then try starting Windows again., etc., etc."
My husband does something (not sure quite what it is), and then we have to re-install Norton again and run it. This last time I didn't put Gator back on, because I thought maybe the two are just not compatible. Is that possible? Anyway, after this ordeal is over, everything works fine again. I can't understand why Norton and Gator get blown off. (Nothing else does.) This has happened twice. I feel like throwing the computer out the window into a snowbank.

Thanks for any help.

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 09:08 pm:

Mary:

I've gotten quite a bit of feedback about 'Gator' and not very much of it is good. I've never used it myself, frankly, I don't trust any program that stores my personal information in any way.

I may be just paranoid about it but, I'd just as soon input my own data, when I want and the way I choose to enter it.

I've also heard about this 'compatability' issue between gator and other programs besides norton, however I believe that norton is identifing a problem with Gator and Gator is arguing with Norton. Unfortunately, your PC and your sanity is the ultimate looser in this battle.

Solution:

Dump gator, fill in your own forms, give yourself and your PC a little piece of mind...

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 09:49 pm:

Thanks, Catchup:

Advice taken--Gator is gone forever from my computer. His little head was kinda cute popping
up down in the corner, though.

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 01:58 pm:

Mary
you are not alone - Gator screwed things up for me for awhile & I didn't even add him/it intentionally. Took forever to dumb it - I steer clear of that reptile at all times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 02:27 am:

Hi,

Well, I'm back with another problem! :-) Yesterday I downloaded MYSS. Today my computer went beserk. Got tons of weird "error" messages. "Go!Zilla" put up a good fight. (That's what kept
popping up.) Finally my Norton's gasped and got blown off again! Are they arguing with each other, too? They never did before.

Do you think the problem is Norton's and Go!Zilla?

My computer's ready to go out the window again.

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 06:20 pm:

Hi, it's Mary again.

Just to inform you by some unexplainable phenomenon my Norton's is back today and is "enabled". I never did anything, but it revived itself overnight. Weird. I don't get it.

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 05:18 am:

Hello Mary;
I'm baaaacckkk.... ha, ha,,,,
Norton has a self repairing program and it will sort things out for it's self, given time and solitude.

GoZilla is another one of those neat little things that I've never used and don't intend to either.

I know I said I don't use any of those cute little addons that you see every where around the Internet that are suposed to help make life easier but, I down loaded NetSetter the other day, just to try it out. Damndest thing I ever did see...

I don't have it anymore and I just confirmed my own beliefs about such things. It was changing my IP address at will and I would get booted out of my e-mail programs because the sites would think I was an intruder???

Wow, what a mess! I checked this all out with my web site logs and it was just incredible what I was seeing! NetSetter was constantly changing my IP address while I was watching it!

Just goes to prove my point, just because somebody put together a cute little program and makes you think it will make life better, watchout, them Gremlins are everywhere!!!

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 08:23 pm:

Catchup,

Glad you're back! And thanks for the advice.
That is strange about NetSetter! Guess we do
try to simplify too much.

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Carole the Kiwi on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 08:38 am:

Please go get yourself an adware program. When you run it, it might take a few things out but believe me, they are things you don't want anyway. While you had gater running, all kinds of info was being sent back to its owner. What ads you clicked on, where you went on the net, things like that. Adware is very bad for your computer as well, as it tends to be poor programing. I use spybot search and destroy, and i love it. Not sure of the url for it, but running the name in google will find it. Good luck, and please get an addware program, even if not the one i mentioned. Good luck :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:24 pm:

I couldn't live without my form-filler, but I don't use one loaded with adware. The link below is to a PC Mag site describing AI RoboForm; free, no adware.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6380,00.asp

Before I download any program on my machine, I run the title of that program through a Google search. Try it! It will save you heartache.

Last test for any software on my system is if it can pass the "Adaware test". If Adaware finds some portion of it, I delete it with Adaware. If the software is disabled, it is uninstalled.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spybot search and Destroy:

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

I use both, and they each find things that the other missed (though not many).

Good hunting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 07:02 pm:

There is also a program called "SpyChaser" which I run before I consider installing any freebies. You type in the name of the program you are considering and it will let you know if it has spyware associated with it. I also run Spybot and AdAware.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page