Is There Anyway To Stop Email While On Vacation?

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: Is There Anyway To Stop Email While On Vacation?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
We are on vacation  1   06/15 11:31pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 03:09 am:

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's anyway to stop email
while one's on vacation. I'd like to keep the
email from selected ones. But I'd also like to have the rest of the mail "deleted" so as not to be bombarded when I get back.

Guess I'm wondering if there is a simple way, or
does one have to go through their own USP? Now there's a terrible thought! :-)

Thanks for any help.

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 06:03 am:

Whoops!

I meant ISP!

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 06:47 am:

Mary:
This is kind of tough.

It mostly depends on your e-mail server some will let you set up "Vacation" messages, most will not. If not you have to keep your mail box cleaned out or the server will begin deleting the oldest messages. These are usually the ones you want to keep.

The best thing to do is send everyone you want to know a message saying you are going away for a while and copy all of the e-mails you want to save and clean house, then just let them pile up till you get back.

Much depends, also, on:
1) How much e-mail you receive
2) How long you are going to be on vacation
3) Will you have any access to your e-mail while you are on vacation.

You can usually find a machine that you can use to check all your web based e-mail; Libraries are good places to do this at and also places like printing shops like Kinko's and the like will let you use their computer to check your e-mail. Some may charge a token fee for this service, but, I've found many places on the road that will let you check your e-mail and run, too...

Wish I could go on Vacation

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 05:39 pm:

Thanks for the help, Catchup!

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary Holzrichter on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 06:58 pm:

Catchup:

I was able to access my email for a few days while
visiting with my father-in-law. I used http://www.Mail2Web.com, and it worked like a charm. When we left his home, though, my husband insisted on "no computers" for the rest of the trip. :-)

Mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 09:58 pm:

Smart Guy !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tsr on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 07:41 am:

I can't help on the how to stop the e-mails, Yet. but I can tell you, MSN will let things go wild. last year I became very ill, I was away from my puter over 3 months, 2 of them in the hospital. when I got back to my machine, and fired it up I had 876 e-mails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 10:57 am:

To Mary or anyone: To access your E-mail away from home, do you have to have a certian web, such as the one you use at home.. I have Outlook Express, do I need to use an Outlook Express set-up in order to access my E-mail ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:24 am:

Eva, I am not sure that this works with all Internet Service Providers, but it does with mine. When I am away from home, I enter the address (URL) for my ISP home page, look around and find something referring to messages or mail, enter my user name, (the one that connects me to my ISP, not the same as my email addy) and password and I can view my messages. I too use Outlook Express and there is a word of caution, on my ISP, if I view my messages using this method, then when I return home and connect with Outlook Express, the messages that I viewed will no longer be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:00 am:

Thanks; I'll make a note of it and then I'll give it a try when I'm away the next time...
Eva

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page