Windows 98 won't shut down automatically.

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: Windows 98 won't shut down automatically.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Zechino on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 10:59 pm:

Ever since I had Windows 98 installed it refuses to shut down. It just tells me "Windows is shutting down" and that's as far as it goes. I then have to just switch off the pc after a while.
Has anybody got a solution for this, please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Crystal Collopy on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 01:59 am:

You can download a demo copy of a program called "Clickdown". That is the only way I got mine to close without having to manually shut it down. It's a defect of some versions of win98. Even Microsoft's attempt at a fix for mine didn't work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 02:34 am:

Zechino,
This is a tip I picked up, hope this helps.

WINDOWS 98 SE SHUTDOWN PROBLEMS

by Mark Richardson win98tw@hotmail.com

Many Windows 98 users report problems with their computers hanging during the Shut Down routine. As problems go, this one isn't so major. It's usually safe to turn off your computer after 30 seconds or so, as long as the Windows Is Shutting Down screen is visible. Still, it is annoying. If you're having this problem and you're running Windows 98 Second Edition, you could be experiencing trouble with a bug in the program. Microsoft has a fix available online, and this is always the first place to look. Find information about downloading and running the bug fix at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp

WINDOWS INSIDER

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Zechino on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 12:57 am:

I would like to thank Crystal Collopy and Anonymous for their replies on how to get Windows 98 to shut down. I first tried the tip by Mark Richardson, sent in by Anonymous and it worked. Thanx a bunch. Much appreciated.
Zechino.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ron Outlaw on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

I'm having this problem with windows 98 shut down.I'm getting an error message:A fatal exception 0e has occurred at 01671BFF8CC04.The current application will be terminated.When I hit the off button the computer reboots and then I can shut down without any problems.
How do I find out what is hanging the computer up.I have no idea what the error message means.How do I find that application?
Thanks,
Ron Outlaw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ron Outlaw on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

Hi Crystal Collopy,
What is the URL link to the Click Down program?
Thanks,
Ron Outlaw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 07:04 pm:

Ron, I'm not Crystal... but I can pretend..

Here is a link to get that program:

http://www.cermak.com/clickdown/download.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ron Outlaw on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

Thanks a lot Josh.I got it!
Regards,
Ron Outlaw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, May 06, 2001 - 09:10 am:

Sure thing Ron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ethel on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 10:49 pm:

Does anyone have a solution for the same problem in Windows ME?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:47 am:

Hi Ethel,
Not to sure about Windows ME, maybe you can find some help here.

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=winme&Query=shut%2520down&Queryc=shut+down&REF=false&srchstep=0&KeywordType=ALL&Titles=false&numDays=&maxResults=25

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page