System resources

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: System resources
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Disk compression  1   04/30 02:45pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary kendall on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 06:30 pm:

hello again folks, I recently found my system resources to be really low after downloading atomica. so I uninstalled it and stared looking for anything else to get rid of. Right now when I boot and am not yet connected to the net my resources are at 71%. As soon as I get on-line it goes to 43 or 44%. that seems pretty low to me as joe or tom said it should be above 35%. Do you know what scw64 is? and can I shut it down? I went into msconfig. and in the general category there is normal, diagnostic, and selective and selective is the one chosen is that correct? thanks, Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 09:48 pm:

Hey Gary,

That is really strange that your resources go down that far just by making an internet connection.

Here is my suggestion to help pinpoint the problem:

When bootup is done, look at resources. Next, right-click on all of the programs in your taskbar and choose "close, exit, disable" whichever may be present.

Look at resources again.

Connect to the internet, but don't start up a browser, email, or anything.

Look at resources.

Is there a big difference between the last two checks? If not, some program running in your taskbar normally is using resources whenever you connect to the internet... so check and see if anything running uses the internet.

This should help narrow down whether a direct connection to the internet is causing this, or software running.

The reason slective is chosen is because you have unchecked some items in your startup list. Anytime you mess with the programs that automatically startup, it is set as selective.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 12:04 am:

I too use "Atomica", but it is not using anywhere near the resources that Gary is mentioning. While I am on-line reading this forum, my resource meter read 80%, when I activated Atomica, while still on this forum, it takes me down to 76%. I would venture a guess that something other than Atomica is soaking up his resources.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary kendall on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 07:58 pm:

hi Josh; thought I'd get your feedback on what I found. here goes, you said close the programs on the taskbar well the icons on the left don't close by right clicking so I closed as many as I could on the right, the systray I hope I've got the name right, only adaptec direct cd wizard,the volume symbol and 3comEusynth(tm)settings wouldn't allow me to close by right clicking so I left them as is. Upon booting I get 72%, after disable/close=83%,netzero connect box,not on-line yet=77%, connect=74%,browser window up=56%. should I have used ctrl-alt-delete to close everything except explorer and systray instead? you made no mention of scw64 so I'll assume your not familiar with this, got any ideas of where I can find out what it is? Thanks again, Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 09:04 pm:

Gary:

Sorry... I think scw64 has something to do with the sound card... perhaps a 64 bit sound card. That is just a guess though. (I tried to find some info online, but was unable to locate anything. You might try doing a search on your computer for scw64, and see if the folder it is located in gives any clues to what it might be.)

One problem is just the simple fact that netzero consumes a LOT of resources. NetZero is an enormously resource intensive program. Your resources at 83% are pretty good. (All of those programs can be taken off startup if you want... the only purpose of them is to start programs quicker because it is running in the background. If things are running that are not used really often, it is a waste of resources to have them startup.)

I think that the resources are hit more by netzero than the browser window. When netzero connects and displays the ad window, it opens the browser. The resources by the netzero program are the cause, not the browser window.

Is this anything to be concerned about? Probably not. Your resources will be lower than other internet connections, but not anything to get worried about. If you notice a speed slowdown that bothers you, then you may want to consider upgrading memory...but if it doesn't bother you, don't worry about the resource level.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary kendall on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 06:37 pm:

Josh just a short note to say thanks for the assistance. 256 megs of memory are really cheap now, $68 at Frys if you've heard of them, so maybe I'll upgrade :). Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 06:44 pm:

Gary:

I absolutely HATE Frys. When I was in San Jose, I dreaded anytime I had to go in that place. Huge selection, ok prices, but absolutely HORRENDOUS service. Wait in line for 45 minutes to buy a cd-rom drive for crying out loud! ...And don't even let me get started on trying to take something back there!

Hahahaha.... sorry, I just really couldn't stand that place.

If you want some real cheap memory, be sure to check out an online store:

http://www.1stchoicememory.com - extremely inexpensive, I have ordered from them many times and have never had a problem. Just to let you know it is out there...

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jim on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 04:11 am:

Can someone tell me how to access the resource meter that is being talked about? How can I determine how much of my PC resources are being used at any given time. I understand that an icon can be placed in Sys tray to show resources being used - green, yellow, red. Can someone help explain how to load this program in Sys Tray? Thanks. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 03:38 am:

Jim -

Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system resources (or something like that).

Josh Lowe

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page