Outlook Express and Word

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: Outlook Express and Word
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Debbie on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 05:43 am:

How do I open an existing Outlook Express e-mail in Word???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 05:57 am:

Debbie,

With the message open in Outlook Express, go to File/Save As, it will save as an .eml file, put it somewhere you can find it, i.e., My Documents. Open Word, go to File/Open, navigate to My Documents (or wherever you saved it), in the File Types drop down menu, select *All Files* (until you do this, it won't show in My Documents, as the default has you looking at "Word Documents"), then double click on the message (.eml) file, it will open in Word. I just did it, so I know it works. :o)

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 11:09 pm:

Need some help here. Until recently, when I clicked on a stationary in Outlook Express it would give me a preview in the preview pane, the same thing is true when I clicked on a picture icon in My Pictures. All of a sudden, even though the check mark is still there in the stationery folder, I get no preview. In My Pictures folder, it will say generating preview, but no thumbnail appears and the Thumbnail option is no longer available under View. I am running W98SE and IE6. Anybody have any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 12:28 am:

Did you just install IE6 or patch it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 03:08 am:

Both. I installed from MS updates about 2 months ago and about two weeks ago I patched it from the same place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 11:20 pm:

When did you notice this problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 04:29 am:

Probably not too long after downloading the patch (Security update)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 05:31 pm:

Richard, I may be wrong, but there was a reason my first question was about recently installing or patching ie6.

The previews are handled by ie, and it could be that the patch messed it up. Doesn't seem like that could be the problem, but it just might be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 09:59 pm:

Josh,
You could very well be correct. Now, what do I do about it? If I uninstall IE6 will I have my previous IE5.5 to fall back on before re-installing IE6? What I am concerned about is if I uninstall IE6 will I have any way left to re-install it? Only IE6 shows on the add/remove folder and if I uninstall it will I have anything left? I did not uninstall IE5.5 before installing IE6, I just installed IE6 over IE5.5. Add/Remove does show IE5 web accessories, but the only IE showing is 6. Thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 07:35 am:

I went to Windows update and downloaded IE6 again and installed it over my previous installation of IE6. I understand that this is not recommended, but I did it anyway, everything is back to normal, my stationery now shows a preview and the "My Pictures" folder has its thumbnail view back. There is joy in Mudville once again. Did this about a week ago, and so far, no problems.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page