Cnets internet connection speedtest?

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: Cnets internet connection speedtest?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
SCRRUN,DLL file exists but versions needs to be 5.0.0.3511  1   07/02 07:23pm
SCRRUN,DLL file exists but versions needs to be 5.0.0.3511  1   07/02 07:26pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fudger on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 10:27 pm:

Hi i did a cnet bandwidth connection test and it showed up grades to all the way from 28.8 to 1.5mb DSL/CABLE, mine was shown at 28.3. Also on the bottom it showed the following-
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error 80040e14';
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'AND'.
/bandwidth /results.asp,line 182;
I have a compaq 5050 presario, 333mhz celeron, 8 gb hd, 96 ram, win 98, IE 5.0;
What does all the above including options to up grade, and including the error messages mean?
Should i be doing anything about any of this ? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 12:48 am:

Fudger:

You had a slow connection for your speed test, but that could be because you were downloading other files, or just that it was slow at that time.

As for the weird message you recieved, that is an error on their website, not anything to do with your computer.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fudger on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

Thanks for the response!
When they give you the options to up grade to various modem speeds, mine is a 56 k at the 28,
if i click on 56k modem at 53.3 kbps, it says click here to upgrade, what is going to happen, my provider now is not capable of that i'm sure, so what are they offering i don't know about? [cnet bandwidth test] thanks for the response!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 05:57 pm:

Fudger,

I don't really follow some of what you are saying. If you have a 56k modem, then it should be able to run somewhere in the range of 40000 to 56000. But, depending on your phone line, it may not connect at that type of speed. But your provider should be able to handle 56k speeds fine.

The "click here to upgrade" link takes you to a page that lists other internet service providers in your area. Feel free to click it, nothing will happen to change your settings.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fudger on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 10:02 pm:

thanks,
i'm a little punchy about some of the click here links, i have a 56 k v 90 modem, but the connections are at 28- 33 on the phone line, my question is if i could do any upgrades on these cnet links that they show with faster speeds, what you are saying is if i click on the link-56k modem----53.3kbps-click here to upgrade, [on the bandwidth test on c net] ,nothing will be provided of help to me because of the speed of my phone line connection? is that where we stand? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 02:04 am:

Fudger,

All they are doing with those up-grade links is to try and get you to switch to one of their sponsors. (Internet Service Providers). I too have a 56k dial-up modem, but the highest speed I have ever been connected is 44k and right now my connection speed is 37,333. My ISP tells me that my phone line is what limits my speed. I live out in the boonies and connected via a small locally owned telephone company that does not have the latest and greatest equipment. Just because we have a 56k modem does not mean that we will ever be able to connect at that speed using our current phone lines. That is just the maximum speed that our modems could connect at if the phone lines were capable of providing it.

At least that is the way I understand it, correct me if I am wrong.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fudger on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 07:11 pm:

THANKS;
YOU ARE RIGHT; I screwed up and entered a wrong, prefix in one of their boxes, the reason for the error message, i ran it again, and got the right sequence, thanks for the additional info

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page