STAR.EXE? VIRUS?

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: STAR.EXE? VIRUS?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Fudger on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

HI; Some one sent one of my children a file with star.exe and it showed as a virus in my email and i deleted it. Aparrently they are infected, how do you rid of this? thanks they have a ctx pent11 64 ram . i'm not sure the hd or vscan but i think its mcafee, but they can't get rid of it , please advise. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 12:53 am:

Hey Fudger:

You need to find out what the virus is that infected the computer. If you find out the name, then you can be able to get a remedy to fix the problem. How to do that? If you still have the email containing the file, email it back to your computer and write down the exact message that appears, and post back.

If you no longer have it, install the virus software that is on your machine onto the infected computer... it should detect and remove the virus if your computer was able to detect it.

If you no longer have the installation disks, go out and buy a copy of Norton or Mcaffee.... it is worth the 30-40 bucks.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Fudger on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 01:40 am:

my daughter says mcafee detected it but did not clean it apparently. the e mail was sent to me and mcafee showed it as a virus and i dumped it. the only thing i remember it was star.exe, i don't know the rest of the email. i told my daughter to send it to www.sophos.com and see what they say, thanks any way, i thought there was something that had a handle attached to star.exe that was a known item , but i guess not. she had www.housecall.com do it also, and its still there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Fudger on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 01:44 am:

by the way i am using innoculateit home version, hotmail has mcafee in it for any possible attachments, and it came in on an attachment star.exe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, July 09, 2001 - 12:48 pm:

Fudger:

Even if it can't take out the virus, it should at least tell you what type of virus it is. I cannot find any information on "star.exe", but if you have a name of the virus, such as KAK Worm, then we can work on eliminating it.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gordon Hunsucker on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 03:52 am:

Hi I had a file called star on my computer that was giving me trouble. Don't know how it got there but every time I would reboot a screen would come up about star. So I went to the start button and clicked on Quick Finder-Runhelp and where it said File name I typed Star and clicked Find Now and a folder came up with the word Star on it and I right clicked on it and selected delete and it took care of the problem hope this helps.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page