PC Keeps Freezing Up

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: PC Keeps Freezing Up
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 11:53 pm:

Hi,

My PC keeps freezing up, especially when I'm using notepad. I ran sysedit and my config is blank.

Any task that takes any lenght of of time causes
the system to freeze.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 06:21 pm:

John, what version of windows are you using?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 04:30 pm:

Please help...i cannot find any information on system resources...i can start with 95% resources free and within 2 hours i check resources again and sometimes i'm down to 4 %....sure would appreciate someone explaining why this happens. im running windows 98se...have 1.17gb free space...thanks, anyone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 04:50 am:

Anon:

Most likely, some program in the background is creating this issue... it may have a memory leak problem.

What to do? Well, when you first boot, write down your resources. Give it about 30 mins of sitting still, and check them again...they should be aroudn the same amount.

Next, do simple, usual things you do, like connect to the internet and start up a web browser. (Be sure to look at the resources after each time that you start up or exit a program.

That is really the only way to determine where the source of the problem is, but going down to 4% is not normal.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jim on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 04:22 am:

Josh, how do I check to see how much of my computer's resources are available to be used? Also, what would you consider to a "good" amount of resource to have available to work with? Eg, 50%? Thanks, Jim Hamm

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page