Catching a virus

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: Catching a virus
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Virus Scan Software (Forwarded Messages)  1   12/08 05:39pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

I am trying to understand the way that the various virus scan programs work. I have McAfee Active Shield and in talking to them, they say that you have to "save" the attachment containing the virus before Active Shield can catch it. Is this the way that all virus scan programs work. It will not actually catch the virus if I open the attachment before I save it. Also can virus be sent in an .eml or .jpg file now? Outlook Express opens most .jpg attachments automatically when you open an email, they are contained in the bottom of the message. I guess my question is, what is the most effecient way to make sure you do not get a virus?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 07:10 pm:

Anon - any attachment that you get in email should be saved, not opened from location. Images really shouldn't matter...as long as they don't pop up the "open from location" box.

If you want to prevent a virus, save all attachments to disk, and before opening it, right-click and choose to scan for viruses. Once it's clear, you can open it and see whatever is inside.

However, it is also important that you keep your virus list updated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vee on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 09:20 am:

When you say 'save all attachments to disk' - I assume that you mean the "C" drive? If so, would you not infect your hard drive if you had a virus in email. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 02:09 am:

No. There are two options. Save to disk & Open from location.

NEVER EVER choose open from location. Save it to disk first. Then, go to that file, right-click on it, and choose "scan with norton antivirus" or whatever your virus program is.

If it comes up clean, there is one more thing to check. Right-click on it again and go to properties. Check out the full name. What are the three letters after the "." ? If they are .exe, .com, .vbs, then don't run it no matter what. (There are other extensions you shouldn't run, but I can't think of any right now.)

If it passes that test, then go ahead and double-click it to open.

If it fails any test, then just delete it, then empty the recycle bin. The virus can't infect you unless you actually RUN the program file. If it is just stored on your hard disk, it won't hurt anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By veegee on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 07:53 am:

Thanks for reply Josh - but when I rt cl on attachment folder, the prop. reads: name of folder, location, size & date. Even when open folder & rt cl on the file (attachments) get name of attachment and same as above. Do not see any .exe, .com, vbs. How else can I find this? My OS is an ME. Thanks in advance. Hope I made this clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:11 pm:

Veegee -

You have to save the file to disk first. (When I say "save to disk", I mean to your hard disk, not to a floppy disk.)

To do that, double-click the attachment. A window opens asking what you want to do. Choose "save to disk". In the window that opens, click the down arrow in the pull-down box and select desktop.

Hit save.

Now, minimize your windows and get to the desktop. Then follow the instructions I left in my previous post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vee on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 08:40 am:

Josh: I saved the attachment to the desktop, but when I click on properties, there are no letters that you mentioned: exe, .com, .vbs. How else can you determine what extension it is?

Could I also create a folder on the "C" drive and save the attachments there? Thanks for your help and 'patience'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 05:47 pm:

Yes, you could save it to a folder you create on your c drive. If you don't see the extension, then don't worry about it, but right-click and scan.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page