How Do You Enable Cookies

TNC Discussion Board: Tips and Tricks: How Do You Enable Cookies
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jane Smith on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

I would like to know how to enable cookies on my pc. Sometimes when I click on a link, a message comes up that says I need to enable my cookies in order to have access to certain links. Where can I get information on what cookies are and how to enable cookies?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 10:55 pm:

Jane,
Are you using Internet Explorer for your browser? If so, while you are on a web page (this one will do fine), click on "tools" on the top tool bar, then on Internet Options, a window will open named "Internet Options" (Gee what a surprise, huh?), click on the "Privacy" tab on the top of the window. You will see a slide, click and drag to move it up or down and read what it tells you on the right side. Choose the setting that you want (I use MEDIUM), then click on "Apply" then on "OK". That will set it at whatever level you choose. You can re-set it anytime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 08:28 pm:

What are Cookies? I have been reading some of these posts on here to learn more about the computer, and I see this "cookies" thing. It has me stumped.. What is it and what can be done with it or what happens by not using it?
Eva

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 06:52 am:

Eva, Below is the official definition of a cookie. If you look at the message just above yours in this thread (by me) it will tell you how I set my privacy to allow cookies.

cookie
Data created by a Web server that is stored on a user's computer. It provides a way for the Web site to keep track of a user's patterns and preferences and, with the cooperation of the Web browser, to store them on the user's own hard disk.

The cookies contain a range of URLs (addresses) for which they are valid. When the browser encounters those URLs again, it sends those specific cookies to the Web server. For example, if a user's ID were stored as a cookie, it would save that person from typing in the same information all over again when accessing that service for the second and subsequent time. By retaining user history, cookies allow the Web site to tailor the pages and create a custom experience for that individual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 09:14 am:

Thanks.. This is now begining to make sense.. But does it also hold all of the URL's of the web sites that I have on the "Block sender" list? Can I stop all of the unwanted ads that keep coming in on my E-mail page through this cookie program? Or is that too much to ask ? Thanks for your help ..
Eva

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Eva on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 09:29 am:

Richard ; I just checked out the program you indicated and found that I don't have any "Privacy" tab.. I only have : "General - Security - Content - Connections - Programs - & Advanced" listed on the Intenet Options window..
Where do I go now ?
Eva

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 02:17 am:

Eva, I don't know about the "Block Senders" thing, never used it.

Instead of "Privacy" then try the "Security" tab. I am using Windows98 Second Edition, and Internet Explorer 6.0, maybe that is the difference. The Privacy tab on mine is right next to the Security tab.

No, I don't think it will stop you from receiving unwanted e-mail ads (SPAM).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 05:18 pm:

Eva, here is a page that will answer most of your questions about cookies.
http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By aucmstg@ebay.com on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 04:12 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page