Desktop Icons Re-arranging themselves

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: Desktop Icons Re-arranging themselves
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Desktop Icons - Why do they periodically re-arrange themselves?  3   07/02 01:43pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CCDOnline on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 10:43 pm:

Can someone help me please? :(

I like to arrange the icons on my desktop in a certain way - for example with the recycle bin and my computer icons on the lower right hand side.

From time to time, most often when i re-boot or restart Windows 98 for some reason, i find that all the desktop icons have re-arranged themselves on the left of the desktop - not in the arrangement i had manually set. No, i haven't changed the desktop setting to "Auto arrange" but it's just as though I had.

I also have very good virus and firewall protection so i'm sure it's not a virus.

I don't think it's a serious issue, but I'd be very interested if someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks !:o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CCDOnline on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 12:12 am:

I managed to solve this problem with the help of a website called www.protonic.com where you can get free advice on all sorts of computer problems - highly recommended! :)

Apparently this is a well known problem in Windows 9x / ME. to solve it get a program called "Iconlock" (free at: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,608,00.asp) and it will fix this problem.

You have to join the PCMag site in order to be able to download this program, and lots of other free software.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CCDOnline on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:35 pm:

:(
Unfortunately Iconlock didn't work after all. After a session surfing the internet I returned to my desktop to find that once again the icons had all re-arranged themselves even though Iconlick was still running stopping me from moving them manually until I "unlocked" it!

Can anyone else shed any light on this problem?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page