Constant 'freezing' of programs/desktop icons

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: Constant 'freezing' of programs/desktop icons
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 11:42 pm:

I'm at my wits' end with this problem!!! Since last Weds., my computer instantly 'freezes' whenever I try to link to a site off my homepage OR open one of my desktop icons. I've talked to Microsoft for 3 different fixes, none of which helped. They suggested I have someone "look at it". I just got it back from the computer shop after 4 days of 'having it run fine'. No viruses were found. When I got it home, it's the same story. I've tried unplugging the printer and the scanner (separately) to see if one or the other could be causing the problem, but neither remedy stopped the freezing. Has anyone ever had this problem? ANYONE???? I NEED HELP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jgvernonco on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:04 pm:

What do you know abou the compter shop? Is it recommended by peopleyu trust?

Did the computer shop "go online" with your machine?

Did they use your power cable, or theirs?

Are the desktop icons that you are talking about causing the freeze links to outside your computer, links to programs in your computer, or both?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 02:47 pm:

Appreciate your input. The computer shop I used is one I have used in the past (with good results). I'm not sure if they went online with it, they said they'd had it running several hrs. with no problems. I'm sure they used their power cable. (so that's the next thing that needs to be checked out.) The desktop icons that are causing the freezing are both to links inside AND outside my computer.
Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bandy on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 09:27 am:

Do you have Spybot search and destroy or adaware installed? There could be junk running in the background making you freeze up. Both of these have free versions. Its amazing how much spyware these can find. http://www.safer-networking.org/ is for spybot. Its safe to let it fix anything in red that it finds. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 11:48 am:

Thanks Bandy,

Don't have either Spybot or adaware installed. I'm willing to give them a try though. Thanks for your much needed information on these. Hopefully one of these will do the trick. Thanks again.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page