Shortcut problems

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: Shortcut problems
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tsmar on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 04:43 pm:

I created a shortcut to a site for my desktop and now I cannot delete it,no matter what I do. Nothing works. It seems this shortcut has a very, very long name and this is the problem.Microsoft will not allow me to delete it, rename it, so anything to get rid of it.
This leads to another problem, Scan disk and Defrag cannot complete their work. They stop when they get to this long name and do not correct the error or anything.Can anyone tell me how to remove this shortcut? It is a major headache.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 07:13 pm:

You may be able to delete it in safe mode. When your PC "beeps" at start-up, and before the Windows logo loads, press your F8 key and choose Safe Mode from the menu.

If this doesn't work, try again and choose "Command prompt" option when you press F8. Choose this to go into DOS and see if you can delete it there.

If you've never used the DOS mode and want more info on how to delete stuff, let me know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tsmar on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:13 pm:

Hi dreuby...
I tried your suggestions but couldn't remove the shortcut for the same reasons, name too long.
I am a complete novice when it comes to DOS, but I can follow SIMPLE step by step instructions!
If you can help me in anyway, you'll have my heartfelt gratitude. tsmar

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page