DESKTOP ICONS LOST

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: DESKTOP ICONS LOST
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 11:33 am:

I have downloaded several things and saved them to the desktop. They show up in the listing under Explorer but they are not visible as Icons on the desktop. They are also there when I do Find. Why are they hiding and how do I make them show up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 12:25 am:

Try right clicking on a empty spot on your desktop
and click refresh, or the next time you reboot your PC they should show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alan.m.cromarty on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:11 am:

All my desktop icons have diappeared, there is no start menu either, I just have a blank page and am unable to do anything, any help would be appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:13 pm:

Are you running XP, or 98?
In XP, you can boot to safe mode by pressing F8 when the "select your operating system" screen appears. Then choose "safe mode". You can then use Sytem Restore to go back to a previous restore point (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore). This may get your system running again. (This happened to me after a Windows update!)

In 98, I think you get to safe mode by pressing F8 before windows starts to load - after all the Dos system info. It doesn't have system restore - have you installed anything recently (including Windows updates)?

Dianne Reuby
http://www.swindonvirtualoffice.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alan.m.cromarty on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:01 pm:

many thanks Diane for your reply it is Windows 98
however I have tried to run it in Safe mode and again there are no icons on my desktop.Once again any help would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By a5698 on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:00 am:

I have today brought my computer to work to test it here. I have run it in SAFE mode and again no icons only the coloured background. In the 4 corners each says safe mode. I then have to do control-alt-delete to shut it down. A window comes up with close program. In the window is Explorer and Regedit, I then have to press control-alt-delete to shut the whole system down.

I have run another computer in work in the same manner and it tells me in a window that it is in SAFE mode and when I press Control-alt-delete on that one it only has Explorer in the close program window. I therefore need to know what REGEDIT means.
Any help would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:16 pm:

Regedit is the program that allows you to edit your registry - the database that controls Windows and your PC. Here's a description from Webopedia:
"Most Windows applications write data to the Registry, at least during installation. You can edit the Registry directly by using the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) provided with the operating system. However, you must take great care because errors in the Registry could disable your computer."

You can read the full description here:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/Registry.html
Scroll down for links to more info.

see next post...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:16 pm:

..from last post

It sounds like something has corrupted your system so it isn't loading the desktop.

This article may cover your problem (make sure to copy and paste the whole link)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192393&Product=w98

Dianne Reuby
http://www.swindonvirtualoffice.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alan cromarty on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:15 pm:

Thankyou for all your help. I brought my computer to work and compared it to another. On the window when Alt-Ctl-Del was pressed was Explorer and regedit. I said to end task against regedit and deleted that program. This left only explorer in the box. I ran this in Safe Mode for scandisk and then defragmented and all my desktop icons re appeared. So once again thankyou to you all.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page