How do I remove something that I downloaded from the net?

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: How do I remove something that I downloaded from the net?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
WhenUSearch Desktop Toolbar  2   04/28 08:33pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Debbie Smock on Friday, October 06, 2000 - 05:36 pm:

I thought it would be nice to listen to some music while on the pc. Well there has been so much talk about Napster that I downloaded it now I have an ugly icon sittin on my desktop and I am clueless as to what to do . I have changed my mind now I need to get rid of this devise that I have no skills at using. I'll just pop a cd in when I want to hear some tunes.
If you can help me with this I will be grateful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Friday, October 06, 2000 - 06:24 pm:

Hi Debbie,

You didn't say if you'd installed the program or not. Assuming you did, or you wouldn't have the evil icon staring at you.

To get rid of the icon, left click on the icon to highlight it, and press the Delete key. Or right click it, and select "Delete" from the context menu.

Either way, the icon is terminated to the Trash Bin, where it will sit until you take out the garbage.

If you installed Napster, removing the icon won't remove the program from your PC. You'll need to do that in the Control Panel using the Add/Remove programs applet (applet means mini-program).

Nice to see you asking questions. Tell others about The Newbie Club, ok?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 07:43 pm:

I dl'd some music from Napster. When I tried burning them on a cd, it told me my cd-r won't accept mp-3 files - only .wav files. How do I convert the MP-3 to .wav ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 05:07 am:

Anon:

Check out http://www.mp3towave.com - that is the software I use... if anyone knows any other, feel free to post them.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vee on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 05:40 am:

Will try to explain as best as possible:

Went to my ISP's site to check on my online time and was instructed to download 'Time Manager' in order to do so, which I did and got a site called "Power Archiver". Further down the ISP page, it said to download 'Time Monitor' to check online time. This I did and when I click on the 'Time Monitor' - get "Self Extracting Archive" box that says "Extract to C:\windows/desktop and a list of files like: INST32l.ex - ISDEL.EXE - SETUP.LIB etc. This one is so bizarre that will just ignore it but...

My question is: I deleted the icons from the desktop and also deleted from the 'recycle bin'. Are they gone from the system? They are not in the add/remove listing. Thanks for any explanations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vee on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 05:55 am:

Could someone please tell me if - Time Manager, Power Manager, Time Monitor and Power Monitor are one and the same but by another name?

Searched in Run (from start) and they all have files, alot duplicates. Hope this isn't regarded as too 'silly' a question. Thanks for any info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vee on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 10:46 pm:

CORRECTION - the above message should read - "searched from 'search' from the start menu, not from 'run'.

Is there a way to edit a post once it is posted?

Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Corrine on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 06:58 pm:

HI
That is something I would, and I am sure others would, like to know too!
Once you place a message on say a B/B or Guestbook(I booboo'ed there!) can you edit it?
Of course the obvious is to "re-read and recheck" before you send but you know how keen we all are......!
And I have an annoying habit of picking out mistakes from pages, cannot help it, its a "gift!!" lol. Not too clever when they are my own though!
Many Thanks
Corrine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 02:39 pm:

Vee:

It is probably not removed yet. Double-click my computer, then double-click your C drive.

Look for a folder with a name similar to the program. When you find that folder, right-click it and delete. When it prompts you about deleting program files, just say yes.

As for editing posts, no, you can't do that on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mark Sullivan on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:09 pm:

I want to delete a ISDEL.exe file left over from my kid's messing around with a download. I am denied access. How can I get rid of this file?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 10:20 am:

It may be read only, if you right-click and choose Properties, down the bottom of the box you can remove the archive and read-only ticks, and try again.

You could go into safe mode (F8 when you boot up, and choose "safe mode"). The screen will look funny, but you can use Win Explorer to try to delete this file. Then reboot as normal.

Aren't children wonderful? :) I've told mine that any more downloads will mean no trip to the computer museum on Saturday mornings!

Dianne Reuby
http://www.swindonvirtualoffice.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By aag35l4@google.com on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 03:37 am:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page