Applications on Desktops/How do you move them?

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: Applications on Desktops/How do you move them?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Debra on Saturday, June 09, 2001 - 09:16 pm:

I am a download junkie...as a result of this , I have several .exe programs on my desktop after I install them..This would not be a problem except for I have 4 younger children who love clicking on things..I have come in and found 3 or 4 or 5 setup programs trying to run at the same time and a computer that wants very much to crash because of it...how do I move these applications off my desktop without creating shortcuts? Everything I have tried always ends up with a shortcut leaving the application still on the desktop..I don't want to delete them, just move them..Please Help
Mommy of Six

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Saturday, June 09, 2001 - 10:11 pm:

Hi Debra,

It sure is nice to hear someone else is a download junkie, i thought it was just me. Now the way i overcame this problem is to copy and paste. Open my documents and make sure it is at restore size. Then right click on the .exe file you want to move, click copy, then click somewhere inside the my documents page making sure not to click on top of another file, then right click in the same place and click paste. Hey presto, the file will be placed there and you can delete the one off the desktop. You will get a warning sign come up saying it is an .exe file, but as it is safely copied to my documents you can delete it from your desktop.
Hope this helps.

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Debra on Saturday, June 09, 2001 - 11:16 pm:

Howdy Arline :))
Thanks alot, that really helped and it worked like a charm of course :)) now my kids will actually have to hunt for things to open :))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 03:23 am:

Debra:

Another way to do this is to drag the file into My documents, but instead of dragging with the left mouse button, drag with the right mouse button. When you drop the file into My Documents, a menu will popup asking what you want to do. Just select "move".

Just another method.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 07:41 am:

Hi Josh,

I tried that method a couple of times and found that the items i had tried to move no longer worked properly, it was before I had all the trouble with my pc, so I don't know if it was me doing something wrong , or, my pc wasn't working properly, but I now stick with the copy and paste method because I know it works best for me.

Cheers,

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arline on Sunday, June 10, 2001 - 07:53 am:

Hi Debra,

Glad to be of help, I have 8 grandchildren so i totally understand your problem, lovable little things, kids, arn't they ????

Cheers,

Arline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By starbyrd on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:11 pm:

Hi everybody,
You could also create a file/folder (like downloads or Charlie or anything they would not guess) and have the files download directly into that folder. There would be no shortcuts showing up on the desktop either.

Then as you look at the downloads later, you can keep or delete without having to "uninstall".

Download junkies unite. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By starbyrd on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:15 pm:

Hi Arline,
What you described sounds like the shortucts got confused (corrupted). They point to the old location, not knowing that you moved them.

If you have something like Norton's, you can tell it to fix shortcuts, and it does.

Bye,

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page