Jumping Icon Syndrome

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: Jumping Icon Syndrome
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Jumping Icons  6   03/04 03:05am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Terrie Peacock on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 09:20 am:

My sister's desktop icons are causing her to want to throw her perfectly good PC away.
Whenever she approaches them with her mouse pointer, they begin jumping around and changing places. She has to litterally chase them around the screen and sneak up on them. Once she has a window open, she has no more trouble. But if she has a window less than maximized, she can see them jumping around behind that window. A friend suggested it could be the mouse driver, but wouldn't that cause all icons to jump? This is just on her desktop, making it real irritating to open anything.
Anybody know about this weird problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 06:28 pm:

Terrie:

Is the mouse jumping around, or do the icons on the desktop actually move position on the screen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By INKODOGB@AOL.COM on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 12:22 am:

HI PEOPLE!! MY NAME IS DAN. ON AOL I AM INKODOGB@AOL.COM I HAVE THE VERY SAME PROBLEM AS DESCRIBED IN THE ABOVE. I DOWNLOADED SOMETHING AND NOW HAVE FORGOTTEN WHAT IS WAS....BUT ON THE WINDOW THAT CAME UP...I CLICKED ...CLOSE.....THEN THE DARN ICONS STARTED DANCING ALL OVER MY SCREEN..BUT THEY HAVE TAMED DOWN A LITTLE SINCE THEN. WELL HOW CAN I FIX IT??? I RATHER NOT CHASE ALL OVER TRYING TO CATCH THE ICONS!!!! ( I HAVE LEARNED TO USE MY START MENU)....BUT I NEED TO FIX THE DANCERS!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

My guess is some program is running in the background creating this issue.

Do this:

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL (one time).
This will bring up a menu showing all the programs running on your computer. Select them one by one and choose the option marked "end task".
Follow the above steps for each item in the list. Make a note of which one you are closing. Continue closing things until you close the one that stops the icons from dancing.

Then, post back with what program you closed to make them stop dancing, and I can help you eliminate it.

Just don't close:
Internet Explorer
Explorer
Systray
Run32dll

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By George Page on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 10:58 pm:

Hi Re jumping Icons.

My Icons don't jump,but they do sort of go in and out if I move my mouse near them. They don't do this all of the time - maybe two or three times in a couple of hours.
It would be hard for me to close programs and see what is causing this, because they don't do it all of the time.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:02 am:

These dancing and running desktop icons are caused by the W32.Magistr.A virus.

Update your virus program and scan for the virus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 07:26 am:

My desktop icons were dancing to.
It definetly was a virus that caused them to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:18 pm:

I have a similar problem, but the mouse jumps as opposed to the icons. I scanned for the W32.Magistr. virus (which is not listed) and my antivirus prog. is always updated. Is there some other solution to this problem?

Thank you very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 01:09 pm:

Does your mouse need cleaning? If it has a ball, it may be collecting fluff which will cause it to "jump". Here's a photo tutorial:
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/maintenance/mouse_problem_maintenance.htm

If your mouse is optical (with a light, rather than a mechanical ball) this won't be a problem as they don't collect fluff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 04:26 pm:

I know exactly what these people are talking about. There is NO problem with the mouse. I am only 14 but I know what I am talking about. I recommend this for a fix: open "internet explorer", click "tools", click "internet options", then click "delete files" and "delete cookies". If you are having problems getting to internet explorer because of the jumping icons, click start and find it from there. If this does not work, put a search in on Google for: "spybot search and destroy". It is free and it should help you get rid of spy programs and other malicious programs. I also recommend "Adaware 6" and "Spyware Blaster".
Hope this helps!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page