Unwanted Icon on Taskbar

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: Unwanted Icon on Taskbar
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
? task manager  1   06/16 09:43pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 08:23 pm:

How do I get rid of the Task Scheduler icon on my taskbar? Thanks for any sugestions!

Beverlee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, October 20, 2000 - 11:06 pm:

Hi Beverlee,
To get rid of the Task Scheduler Icon, double click the icon which will open the task scheduler program, then go to advanced and click Stop Using
Task Scheduler and the Icon will be removed until
you enable it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta on Saturday, October 21, 2000 - 06:22 am:

I have some icons there I would like to remove also, but how do you go to advanced?

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Saturday, October 21, 2000 - 09:53 am:

Loretta

The answer from Anonymous only works with Task Scheduler.

For the other icons, if they are on your taskbar, simply right click and choose delete.

If they're in your System Tray (where the clock is), you should be able to configure the relevant programs to remove the icon or to not "Run at start up".

If any of the icons relate to firewalls or virus protection, just leave them.

Another way is to click Start/Run type "msconfig" without the quotes, hit OK, select Start Up and remove the tick from the offending programs (but leave any firewall/virus protector alone)

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 09:13 am:

Hey Jamie,

I did it! Boy there was a lot of stuff in there I had never heard of, don't worry, I left them alone. I once removed Word from my computer freeing up space, then wondered why my computer wouldn't work.

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 04:10 pm:

I am sooooooo impressed by this site I could#!%$#
(unmentionable in mixed company) I just keep on learning and realize what I have missed!!
I had a Synchronization???don't know if I spelled that right??..that appeared as an icon when i first up-graded IE to 5.1....IT really bugged me and I still don't know how I got rid of>> it but now I'm wondering was that Wise? What is it for??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 03:18 pm:

I have had same problem....have you ever received answer to your last question....What is it for???? I'd sure like to know too>>>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By iwan on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 08:44 am:

hi there,
I have a question, wonder if you could help. see nowadays whenever i use my pc the icons like the gif, doc and many others go all awry. the files can still be opened but all the icons are wrong. don't really know where to start. what can i do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 06:18 pm:

iwan:

The only thing I can figure is that somewhere some system files got messed up. My recommendation is to install TweakUI, then use it's features to correct the problem.

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-1461985-101-2830963.html

1. Click the link to download TweakUI from Micro$oft.

2. Double-click the installation file. Click the Unzip Button. Click close.

3. Go to windows explorer (windows key + E) or click start/programs/windows explorer.

4. In the left frame, click the plus next to C drive, click the plus next to windows, click on the TEMP folder.

5. Find the file called "tweakUI.inf". Right-click on this file and choose "install".

6. Click start/settings/control panel. Double-click the TweakUI icon.

7. Click the "Repair" tab. Select Rebuild Icons. Click "repair now".

Hopefully, that will help fix some of your problems.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 10:18 am:

I'm confused. At the bottom of the screen, next to the START button I have a lot of icons. Is this known as the Task Bar, Task Scheduler and Quick Launch bar? All one and the same?

Will the given solutions work on Win95?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 06:16 pm:

Anon:

The taskbar shows rectangles which are all of the program windows you have open.

You can see programs that are running in the background by looking at the icons by the clock.

Your quicklaunch bar is most likely right next to the start button. These are not programs running in the background, but some that you can start up for easy access.

They don't bother anything, but if you want, you can right-click on them and choose delete.

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Nell on Friday, December 07, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

Hi there, Does anyone know how to get the taskbar back to the bottom of the desktop? Mine went to the left side of the desktop and I can"t get it back to the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 08:58 pm:

Hi Nell
You should be able to click and drag it with the left button. It's just worked OK on mine (Win98SE). Click on a blank part of the bar and drag it to where you want it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Freddy m on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 02:16 pm:

All of a sudden my computer is starting up slower than it used to.It takes twice as long to boot up now then it did before.Is there a way of correcting this.
THANKS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By neuguy on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 04:17 am:

Hello, I installed a spam blocking program. Only that it doesn't even work with my two main email programs. I done a uninstall of the spam guard, but still have the icon in my system tray. I tried dragging it to the recycle bin, it no go. How do I get rid of the pest? Thanks, Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 05:14 am:

Start/Run/Type in msconfig/Startup tab/look for the program, remove the check from its box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By neuguy on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 05:39 am:

Thanks again Richard, that got rid of the icon. TNC is what it is due to members like you. neuguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 03:40 am:

On my taskbar desktop is before the systems tray. How do I remove that and why doesn't my taskbar move to the bottom of screen. It is on top and it only moves 1/2 down and locks. Tried with double arrows and also lf. clicked on empty space and it moved 1/2 way down screen and stopped. The bar contents also spread out where it locked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CAROLYN ST.CLAIR on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

OK, I HAVE A TASKBAR ICON CALLED "DESKTOP". I CAN`T RIGHT CLICK TO DELITE IT. NO MATTER WHICH WAY I CLICK IT BRINGS UP A LIST OF THE DESKTOP ITEMS. ITS REALLY NOT NEEDED SENCE YOU CAN GET ALL THAT STUFF FROM THE START BUTTON. PLEASE HELP.
CAROLYN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:28 pm:

hi,I get a lot of email from peeps that is "aol exe/jpeg"...and I cant open them,it keeps saying I dont have that file?....any ideas how I can either get what ever this "aol exe/jpeg" is or how I can open these emails.
many thanks for great site,I just cant keep off it,its compulsive reading....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Roseyb on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:44 am:

due to the last nasty virus,a site I go to has had to "incrypt"(scuz spelling I'm old hehe) its cartoon pics etc...I used to just copy and paste now I cant...any ideas please...I'm not to great on here yet so plez use the "newbie" method of instruction etc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

If the web site owner has encrypted them, it may be to stop people from using them (if they're copyrighted, for example).

If that's the case, you won't be able to copy and paste them.

If they can be copied and saved, you could try:
Right click on the picture, and choose "Save picture as..." then a dialog box allows you to tell Windows where to save it, and what to call it.

Make sure that you're not breaking any copyright rules - if the web site owner doesn't say somewhere on the site that you can use them, then they probably are copyright and not for general use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Roseyb on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 09:22 pm:

many thx dreuby...its worked a treat...dont worry I'm not breaking any copywrites...they give us a free hand to copy them...thx to you I can now do it....GBU ...Roseyb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dale Castle on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:17 pm:

Can anyone tell me what use I would get out of TweakUI if I were to download the program. My computer is running great at the moment. I just reloaded my windows system because I was having all kinds of freezer burns.LOL I tried to download TweakUI and then found that I needed WinZip to unload the program. But after doing that I still could not get the d...m program to install. So.... again what would I get from the program. Is it like TweakManager. Also any comments on the advantages of downloading HijackThis. I tried that but it seems to me that you have to make a decision to keep or dump a file and I always shutter when I do that, thinking that I will lose something that makes my computer distrust my abilities. Thanks ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 09:36 pm:

I've never used TweakUI, but I do use Hijack This - I post the results to the http://www.tweakxp.com forum, and a kind forum member translates it for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 02:37 am:

If you copy the coded name of a program in the startup menu onto a piece of paper then type it into Google, you will get a description of the program it represents and very often an
indication of whether or not the program necessarily has to remain in the menu. The leaner you keep your startup menu the better.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page