Want to remove icons from the desktop

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: Want to remove icons from the desktop
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Acquiring an icon (finding it) and pinning to start menu, how to  1   01/27 04:06am
Plan well program  1   04/18 07:53pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mholloway on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 12:06 pm:

i have lots of icons on my desktop (not talking about the bar at the bottom) and if i remove some of these icons, will it remove the program????
can i just go to start then on to programs to pull it up????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, October 22, 2000 - 06:11 pm:

mholloway,
The icons on the desktop are just shortcuts to programs, you can right click on the ones you don't want and select "delete" they will not affect the program they are connected to.

The shortcut icons will be sent to the recycle bin. If you want the shortcut back (as long as you don't empty the recycle bin) you can go to the recycle bin highlight the one you want back right click it and select "restore" and it will reappear on the desktop.

"NOTE" Some icons you cannot delete they will let you know, ie: My Computer, Network Neighborhood,Recycle Bin , ect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 07:34 am:

WARNING - THAT IS NOT CORRECT.

Sorry about the shouting but following the above WILL get you into trouble.

Unless you've customised your desktop, shortcuts will be identified by a little arrow on the icon. These are perfectly safe to delete. However, if you have saved a prgram to your desktop, delete that icon and you've deleted that program.

If in doubt, highlight the icon, right click and select properties and check File Type under the General tab.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arline on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 07:35 pm:

hi arline here,
i hope you don't mind me joining in but i would like to know if it is possible to remove the "network neighborhood" icon from my desktop, (i have no use for it) and if so, how do i do it? thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 09:22 am:

Arline

Actually, you do need Network Neighbourhood for quite a lot of things, including your Internet connection. Deleting it will give you a major headache, if not now, then definitely later.

If you want to create some space on your desktop, drag some of the icons (not Network Neighbourhood) to the Quick Launch bar next to the start button.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D Reuby on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 03:05 pm:

Hi
I have an internet connection (I expect you know that as I'm posting here!), and a stand-alone PC, but I don't have the Network Neighbourhood icon on my desktop - why is this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 06:56 am:

RE: Desktop clutter (unwanted icons)

I have walked into offices that somebody wanted me to do one thing or another with their computer and I almost Freaked. Some people have more icons and folders on their desk top than trees have leaves! I mean that...

Here is what generally happens; (And I mean no disrespect to anyone ever) I was once a newbie tooooooo.....

We get a computer and get to doing things with them and one of the first things we learn how to do is put things on our desktop...

Know that is all well and good but, leaving things on your desk top can really get to be a mess. We are so happy with ourselves for accomplishing something and by placing it on the desktop we can always find it, right?

Ah ha!!! Can it be that we just don't know what else to do with it?

The point is when we learn how to use the "Save as" function and "Windows Explorer", these two little items will save much time and keep house cleaning down to a minimum...

Jamie is absolutely correct, we can't just arbitrarily go around deleting icons off the desktop and not get into some kind of trouble.

If we have spent two weeks putting together a complicated document and saved it to the desk top and then just deleted it we might just be a little upset with ourselves.

Continued...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CAtchup on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 06:59 am:

Desktop clutter (unwanted icons) Continued

Many times, if you "Save" a document without specifing a location, windows will save it to your desktop by default. On the other hand, once you have "Saved" a document to a specific folder location using "Save as", and reopen it, edit, add to it or change it in any way then you can "Save" and it will over right the original document with your changes.

Lesson:
Work with your "Save as" function in the "File" menu. You can also create a "New Folder" in this same place. Experiment with it and you will figure it out.
Learn how to "get around" in your computer using "Windows Explorer".
On your "C" drive you will find a folder named "My Documents" Try to save most of your work in this folder and create new folders in it to organize your work into catagories.
Life will be good when you can get out of house cleaning and actually be able to find stuff without it being cluttered all over your desk top.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By normamorarie on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 04:32 am:

i have two folder icons on my desktop that i can't get rid of they are not shortcut icons i removed the program some time ago when i right click on them i have two options -- create shortcut , or properties clicking on properties gives me a window that says there are no properties available is there another method i can use to remove them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 04:00 pm:

You can remove an empty folder icon from your desktop by highlighting it (click it once) and then pressing the Delete key. Poof! It's gone. But not without a confirmation message being displayed first. "Are you really, really sure you want to do this?" Of course Windows will send your folder to the Recycle Bin unless you've got things customized differently...

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By norma morarie on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 10:59 pm:

re/my question of nov 30 and your ans dec 1st thanks for the fast response! but it didn't work i highlighted the folder and pressed delete -- no message of any kind and they are still there :) so what's next??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By arthur follis on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 12:54 am:

in the taskbar tray i have "gator"and thelittle guy for aol messenger plus others ... i know these are loaded on startup.. i also know that the least you have in the tray the better off you are ....faster and easier startups . less problemswhen you do scan disc and defrag ... so how do i get the two items into the "disabled startup folder"" i can activate a shortcut on the desktop and activate them when i want them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 10:54 am:

Arthur,
I don't use Aol Messenger, but if I remember correctly you can go to General Preferences and uncheck Start IM when Windows starts and that should take care of it.

(If you select this option, Instant Messenger starts automatically when Windows starts)

Gator may have the same option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By norma morarie on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 05:26 am:

re/my question of nov 30 and your ans dec 1st thanks for the fast response! but it didn't work i highlighted the folder and pressed delete -- no message of any kind and they are still there so what's next??
can someone help with this, please :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Thursday, December 07, 2000 - 10:26 pm:

norma morarie

First, where did these icons come from and what do the folders contain?

You can try to get to them through "Windows Explorer.

Right click "My Computer" scroll down and select "Desk Top", look in the right hand screen and locate the problem folders, right click from there and try to delete them.

HTH
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jawbreaker on Friday, December 08, 2000 - 02:59 am:

D Reuby,
if you still check this thread--LOL:

Network Neighborhood comes with a particular logon client in "network" in the controlpanel: Client for Microsoft Networks, which was originally designed mostly for use in local area networks. Win 98 has a second, newer, logon client available, which (if it is the one chosen) will NOT place a network neighborhood icon on your desktop.

And Norma, what are the folders called?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D. T. on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 11:54 pm:

I have a lot on my desktop. Actually no more room left :). I want to keep what is there but need space on my desktop. What do I do? Is there a way to put them in a folder somewhere? If so, how?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 06:57 am:

DT:

Yes, there is something you can do...

Right click on our desk top and select and left click on "New" then select "New Folder" from the list. This will place a folder on your desk top that you can name "ShortCuts" or something like that. Then just click and hold the left mouse button down on the icon that you want to move and drag it over your new folder and let up on the mouse button. This will "move" the icon into your new folder.

You can also create new folders within your new folder to organize your short cuts. if you want.

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D.T on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 12:20 pm:

Catchup:
I tried the "new folder" bit with an icon on my desktop. It made a "new folder" with that icon in it, but it left the icon on my desktop, so I deleted it and guess what. It took my file off. Poof,nomore, all gone. Now what. Lucky I used a file I didn't need real bad. What can I do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D. T. on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 11:10 pm:

Hi Catchup:
Tried what you said about the new folder onmy desktop. But after making a new folder and putting in a folder, the icon was still on the desk, so I deleted it and guess what? It took the file off. Glad I didn't use a file that I needed. What do I do now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 04:59 am:

D.T.:

Try dragging your file into the folder by using the right-click. When you drag with right mouse button, it will pop-up a menu when you go to drop the item in the folder. Choose the option that says "move". That should fix that.

What is happening is that a short-cut is being created in the folder, but the file stays on the desktop. Tell it to MOVE the item instead of CREATE SHORTCUT, and it will work.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Saturday, March 17, 2001 - 07:22 am:

DT: The file that you deleted is in the Recycle bin.
Just go there and right click on it and then select and click "Restore", this will put the file back on your desk top where it came from...

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D.T. on Saturday, March 17, 2001 - 11:31 am:

Josh and Catchup:
Thanks so very much for your help with my Desktop icon problem. I'm so glad I found this site. You guys are fast with your replies too. Again thanks a bunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gary kendall on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 06:59 am:

I deleted a desktop icon,hp instant delivery which i never used and have suspened the program so am I gonna lose the program entirely if I delete it from the recycle bin? thanks gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 12:36 pm:

Gary,

If the icon was a shortcut to the program, you won't lose the program by deleting the icon. Restore the icon, then see if has a little arrow in the lower left corner. You can also right click the icon, select Properties, and read the info about that icon and see if it's a shortcut icon. (It most likely is.)

When you delete icons, you usually aren't deleting the program itself, as many icons only reperesent a shortcut to that program.

Besides, if you are about to delete a program, Windows will give you a warning message about it, requiring your permission first.

Best,

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ginny Mitchell on Sunday, May 06, 2001 - 03:37 am:

I have moved every icon into a folder that will go. However...Network, recycle bin, IE, outlook and my computer refuse to go. I have outlook and IE on the quick launch. Why do I need both of the icons? Also, the remaining icons are really ugly and I want to have just my wall paper. Is there any way to ditch those icons? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, May 06, 2001 - 06:04 am:

Ginny:

Those icons are used by the computer and they don't like to disappear. However, you can download TweakUI and it will allow you to customize a lot of that.

I will post the link tomorrow...I am about to go to bed. (Just wanted to let you know that I wasn't going to ignore you.)

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, May 06, 2001 - 11:30 pm:

Ok Ginny,

Here are the instructions for installing TweakUI. This program will allow you to make quite a few customizations to windows...but it is a little confusing to install.

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-1461985-100-2830963.html

Click that link to download the .exe file. Now, when the download completes, open the file. It will ask if you want to unzip files to C:\Windows\Temp\. Say "ok".

Next, open windows explorer (start/programs/windows explorer). Click the Plus sign by C:, then click the plus next to Windows, then click on the TEMP folder.

In that folder will be a file called TweakUI.inf. (If you don't have extensions showing, it will be called TweakUI and have an icon that looks like a notepad with a little yellow gear thing on it.

Right-click on this file and choose "install".

Reboot your computer.

Go to start/settings/control panel.

You will now have an icon called "TweakUI". You can double-click on it and make all kinds of customizations to your computer.

Have fun!

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By doly on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 06:58 pm:

I want to make a folder and name it "Misc" and then make another folder inside that one and be able to add items to make my grocery list when I think of something I want to add. Then I want to be able to print it out.
I would also like to put more folders in the and be able to add to lists in them. Is this posiable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 07:00 pm:

I want to make a folder and name it "Misc" and then make another folder inside that one and be able to add items to make my grocery list when I think of something I want to add. Then I want to be able to print it out.
I would also like to put more folders in the and be able to add to lists in them. Is this possible?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 09:57 pm:

Doly,

Yes, you can do that. Just right click on an empty space on your desk top (wallpaper), a menu will appear, hover on "New" another menu will appear, up at the top will be "folder", click on it, a folder will appear on your desk top named "new folder", while it is still highlighted type in the name you want (if it is not highlighted, click once on it), then push enter. Then left click on the new folder you just created to open it. It will be empty, right click inside the new folder and go through the same procedure to create another folder within a folder. You can do that as many times as you desire, no limit on how many folders you can make within a folder.

When you want to print your list, just open it, and click on "file" then "print", when the print window opens, select the number of copies you want (default is 1) and click "OK".

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peter Chavez on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

I recently downloaded a program from the internet and apparently I did something wrong because I could not access. I had saved it to my C drive. So I then re-did the process and saved it to My Documents. It's working fine. My problem/question is: since I placed the icons on my desktop originally, can I remove them AND the download from the c drive without affecting the new download? Thanks.
Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, July 02, 2001 - 06:21 pm:

Peter:

If you have Installed the program, then the installation file can be deleted without affecting anything. However, if you click on the downloaded file to start the program, then you need to leave one of them entact, because that would not be an instalation file, but the program itself.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sheldon Matson on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 12:15 am:

To whom it may concern'
I would like to learn how to create folders so I can put what I have from my C drive into them such as attachments and my family tree files
yours truly
Shelly Matson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 05:44 am:

seems that every file icon has suddenly appeared on my desktop. this ocurred after I completed a program download, can somebody help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gudrun45 on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 07:25 pm:

I had to reformat my hard drive a couple of days ago. Before that, I had all the icons removed from the desktop and instead had a desktop toolbar. I have the toolbar back, but I can't seem to get rid of the icons on the desktop. I'm pretty sure the way I did it in the past, was to enable the active desktop and then click on "view desktop as webpage." This created the toolbar and emptied the actual desktop.
When I click "view desktop as webpage" now, nothing at all happens.
Thanks for any help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 02:36 am:

ok. See alot about removing and bringing files back to restore., but, can I get back instant message from yahoo and msn? Have windows 98.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 06:36 pm:

I was referred to this site by the Newbie Club...
I've read everything but nothing I read covered my particular question.

I created a shortcut on my desktop, but now I can't remove it. It has a very long name attached and no matter what I do it won't budge.

I've followed instructions given me by many people but none seem to work.

I need a very simple solution since I'm a true NEWBIE...if it is too complicated I won't be able to execute it.

Every time I try to delete or move this shortcut I get a message that it can't be moved or deleted or whatever... because the name is too long and it says to shorten it, but when I try to shorten it I get the same message, it can't be done, A catch 22 and I'm going around in circles.

I would just leave it there but the long name won't allow ScanDisk to compltete its job. It keeps restarting every time it gets to this name, and can't seem to correct the error, delete or anything.

I need help...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 08:46 pm:

Which version of Windows are you running? If you're not sure, click on "My computer", and then "System" and it should tell you if it's Win98, XP, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 04:24 pm:

dreuby...
I'm running Windows 98 and I'm the one with the floating pop up menu problem as well as this annoying desktop shortcut problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 04:10 pm:

Sorry for the delay - I missed your reply!

I can't find anything in the MS support for Win98 on this - it sounds like some thing (maybe a spyware program) has installed it. Can you tell me the name ? If you right-click the icon, and choose "properties", then you should be able to see the name and copy and paste it.

Have you installed any new software recently?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tsmar on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 07:15 pm:

dreuby...
I have not installed any new programs.This shortcut is all I've done lately.
The long name I'm trying to remove is...
Arizona Republic-Welcome to Northwest Valley-with seven separate communities and more than 400,000 residents, the Northwest Valley offers a variety of opportunities for just about any lifestyle. Feel free to indulge in the quiet (2)
http://arizona.p2ionline.com/
MS-DOS name: Arizon~1.URL
I use windows 98 and it does not accept long names.
As I said going to Properties and trying to delete
or rename simply generates an error message that
says I can't rename or delete because the name is too long. Thanks for trying to solve my problem

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page