Resource Meter

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: Resource Meter
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Url's  8   06/27 02:36pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By RichardFullerton on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 12:56 am:

Will someone please explain the three items displayed in the Resource Meter?

System - User - GDI

Why are the System and User always the same percentage for each? What do the initials GDI stand for?

Jamie told me that when I used the address bar on my task bar that it was a resource hog because IE was running in the background, however, after repeated tests (on & off line)that only show a 1% decrease in the GDI and no difference in the system or user percentages when I open the address bar, I question that conclusion!! If indeed 1% is the only price to pay for using the address bar on the task bar, I will continue to use it, as I can type in a URL without having to open a web page so the address bar will show up at the top in the tool bar.

Just in case some one does not know what I am talking about, just right click on an empty spot on your task bar(at the bottom of your screen) then hover over "toolbar" and click on "address". To get rid of it, right click on "address", do the same as before and remove check mark from "address".

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D Reuby on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 01:47 pm:

Hi
GDI is the Graphic Device Interface - your video card. System is your operating system, and I think User refers to everything else - your other programs, etc.

I looked on the Microsoft Knowledge Base
( http://suport.microsoft.com/ ) but it didn't give a lot of information on what the Resource Meter displays actually mean!

D Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 08:46 pm:

D Reuby,
Thank you for clearing up what GDI stands for. I would have never guessed that it was my video card. I tried to go to your "hot link" with no luck, I always got the "This page cannot be displayed", "refreshing" did not help, oh well!
Thanks again,
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D Reuby on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 10:29 pm:

Hi Richard
I think you'll have to type in the microsoft support address directly into your browser - I forgot when I typed the reply that it would come out as a clickable link - sorry!

If you type it in, you should get the support page, where you can choose your program (e.g Win98, Excel, etc) and type in a question.

Most of their answers look like they've been translated from tech-speak to gibberish by a computer, but if you click the link that sounds closest to what you're looking for, the result is usually (fairly) understandable!

D Reuby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 01:52 pm:

Hi Richard

Told you you were getting the hang of this stuff.

Looks like I owe Microsoft an apology! I automatically assumed that activating the address tool bar meant you were part-loading Internet Explorer in the background. In fact, this is pretty much what happens with most programs, (particularly media software e.g. Real Player) when you use any feature of that program. But I was doing Microsoft an injustice. The address bar is actually an extension of Internet Explorer. What this means is that typing a URL into the address bar and hitting return causes IE to launch from scratch and then find the site instead of bringing IE out of hiding and then getting the site. My apologies to Bill!

My own tests show that the address bar uses about 2% of resources, which is nothing to worry about. However, I find screen real estate to be too important to use it and prefer to use the Quick Launch bar instead. Just personal preference.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 08:01 pm:

Jamie,
It takes a BIG person to admit they MIGHT have made a SMALL mistake. :o) Thanks for the explanation!! I too use the "Quick Launch Bar", it is right next to the "Address Bar".

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JAMES BAKER on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 04:52 am:

Hi Jamie if you need the bottom screen space right click on a blank part of your taskbar and click on properties then you can check the box always on top and auto hide. this will drop the taskbar out of sight until you bring your mouse to the bottom of the screen. I keep (3) taskbars at the bottom makes for easy navigation james

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Sunday, November 19, 2000 - 09:44 pm:

RE: Microsoft Support link

D Reuby
You got it OK you just forgot how to spell support. There are two "p's" in support

Microsoft Support site
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Elaine Cole on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 09:09 pm:

How does one create more than one taskbar, as mentioned in the above note.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page