Jumping Icons

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: Jumping Icon Syndrome: Jumping Icons
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 08:09 pm:

My neighbor has this jumping icon problem. They fly like the wind and if you're lucky you'll catch the one you want. We shut the computer down, restarted it, doesn't help. I called Best Buy and they say it's the worm virus. If we bring it in, they'll fix it for $30.00. He uses the Norton Antivirus program with monthly updates. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 12:42 am:

Anon,
Do you knok the name of the worm?
If yes you may be able to find a repair tool on Nortons web site.
You also need to update your antivirus more often.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 10:59 pm:

Thanks for the response. He does update his Norton anti-virus monthly. He ran the update yesterday too, which took over an hour and it found no virus. It still jumps. I'm not sure what he'll do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 08:11 pm:

Anon,
Are we talking about the same type of update?
What I'm saying is to click on the live update button on the norton antivirus main page to go norton website and update the virus definitions
(you have to be connected to the internet to do this) that will update the program automatically. That should be done at least once every couple days. After this is done then scan the computer again be sure full system scan including sub-folders is checked on the antivirus options.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 05:29 pm:

Yes, I believe I'm understanding what you're saying. He was online updating his Norton system and then working it on his computer. Maybe it's not a worm at all but something in the computer it's self? Thanks anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 06:05 am:

Anon,
I'v been looking through Nortons web site and this is what I have found, Click on the link below and search for w32.magistr.24876

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page