Comm ports

TNC Discussion Board: Desktop icons: Comm ports
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By John on Friday, May 03, 2002 - 09:19 am:

Hi, since i installed the new hdd and reformatted my comm ports are mixed
up.
Firstly what are the com ports used for and also how do i reset them?
I have a serial mouse on com 1 and an internal modem and an external modem
on com 2. The internal modem used to be on com3.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, May 03, 2002 - 08:36 pm:

John, the serial ports are used to have devices interact with the computer, just like you mentioned: things like mice and modems.

The two serial ports on the back of your machine should be assigned Com1 and Com2. These are actual physical ports.

The Com3 port is used for internal modems. However, this is more of a "virtual" port, assigned to let the computer interact with the modem properly, even though there is no physical port.

To fix the issue, you will need to open your control panel: start/settings/control panel. Then, double click "modems". Remove the modem that you have in there (NOT THE EXTERNAL ONE, ONLY THE INTERNAL MODEM).

Restart the machine.

Insert the CD that came with your internal modem. Follow the setup instructions, and it should add the modem back, but assign it to the com3 port.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By John on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 03:58 am:

Thanks Josh, as i dont have a cd for the internal i will remove it and reinstall it if i want to at a later date. It is a Netcruiser so maybe i can download some drivers for it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, May 06, 2002 - 08:20 pm:

Well, not sure of the details of your modem, but driversguide.com can help you find it.

A quick search gave me a couple results:
http://www3.driverguide.com/betav2.php?action=dosearch&qm0=netcruiser&qa5=10&dp=1&fs=0

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page