Read Only Files

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Read Only Files
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Penny on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

I don't know how this happens but there are times when I go back to a file I created and it is a "read only" file--I didn't purposely make it this type of file nor do I know how it ended up as read only. How can I change from a read only file to a file that I can just open up, work on and save with theh same file name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:28 pm:

If you right-click on the filename in Windows Explorer, and choose Properties, you can remove the "read only" tick and you should be able to edit it. You'll probably get a message along the lines of "Do you know what you're doing - do you really want to do this?" - if you're sure that the file is one you want to edit (a picture, or document, rather than an important system file!), then just click Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Penny on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 11:56 am:

Thanks, I'll try that. How does a file end up being a "read only" file--I don't know how they got that way in the first place and want to be sure it doesn't keep happening. Will appreciate any help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 02:20 pm:

If you've downloaded and unzipped something, it sometimes is set to read only. I think sometimes Windows decided that it just doesn't want you to read that file today! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By seabee on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:38 pm:

hi, I'm have a problem with "read only" marking my entire CDrw disk that I've written files to. It was working fine and then one day I went to save something else to it and it wouldn't let me. don't know how it got this way and can't figure out how to undo it.

When I go to properties it says the disc has been marked read-only by UDF writing software. Then I uncheck the read only box it asks me to check either; apply changes to this folder only OR apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files. No matter which oneI check and then click apply I then get: error occured applying attributes to the file:The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted.
I am totally lost on how to fix this will be grateful for any help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jim Hunt on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 05:33 am:

Nero InCD is marking my CD-RW (formatted Mt Rainier) as "read-only by UDF writing software". I have been ubable to access these discs for writing since. I can read them OK however. Any help out there?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page