Finding a file to delete

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Finding a file to delete
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard Fullerton on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 02:00 pm:

Stella,
Just left click and drag to highlight what you want to save, right click and "copy". Open a "new message" window, put your cursor in the body of the letter and "paste", send the "new message" to yourself, when it shows up in your "in-box, right click on the address line and send it to your new folder. There may be other ways, but this works for me.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 07:36 pm:

Hi Gary, I created a folder in my outlook express email for computer tips sent to me by you, and I only want to put in certain parts of your letter into this folder for reference, any help for me or am I asking the impossible?
Thank you!
Stella

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joan Troth on Saturday, September 09, 2000 - 01:10 am:

I downloaded an e-book and want to delete it but can't find it because I don't know the file name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, September 09, 2000 - 05:26 am:

Hi Joan,
I did that one time and I went in the "find" files and just typed in the name of the book and it brought up all the information about the book. You can delete it from there, just make sure what you delete is for the book only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom Glander on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 12:19 am:

You can find files, folders, really ANYTHING on your computer using the Find function. It's pretty cool. Just click Start, point to Find, then click Files or Folders...

Type the name of the item you're looking for in the appropriate box, and search your C: or whatever drive. You can even use wildcards to find anything ending with a particular extension, such as *.exe to find all executable files, or *.gif to find all gif graphics files, or *.jpg to find all photos.

Glad to read the posts here - I hope others continue to spread the word about The Newbie Club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Elizabeth (Elizabeth) on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 04:47 pm:

There is another way to find every file on your computer. Just type in "flux Le". Make sure you type it as shown. It will bring up things you didn't imagine was on your computer.

Elizabeth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dave Brooks on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 05:57 pm:

Elizabeth,
The program 'flux' is not on everyones computer, Can tell me where you got it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 10:25 pm:

Hey Dave,

I'm not Elizabeth, but I can answer your question. There is no program named 'flux.' It's just a letter combination that seeks out a lot of files.

You just type 'flux Le' into the 'Named' field of the Find Files dialog box. Sneaky stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By twpmarket on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 10:17 pm:

Tom,
Thanks, I learned another thing... Another undocumented MS feature? or is the doc just buried really deep somewhere?
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By easy_to_learn on Thursday, September 21, 2000 - 11:47 am:

Anyone
If you go to "flux Le"
How do you know which files--
NOT to Delete-
How do you recognize which
"to leave alone" so that you don't
delete a file that you actually need?
Does this ? any sense to anyone?
I would like to clean up these files!
Lois

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gary Bucher on Thursday, September 21, 2000 - 01:20 pm:

Lois,

When you say you would like to clean up these files, are you referring to the list of files you get when you do a find for "flux le"? That list consists of every (or nearly every) file on your PC. Unless you already have a good idea of which files are no longer needed, that list of files is not a good place for you to do any clean-up.

If you're trying to free up space on your hard drive, try this. Double-click on My Computer, then double-click on Control Panel, then double-click on Add/Remove Programs.

Scroll down the list of installed software and see if there are any programs you recognize and that you know you're not using. If you find one, click on it to select it (blue highlighting), then click Add/Remove at the bottom of the window and follow the instructions. Doing this a few times will free up anywhere from a little to a lot of space.

Post a little more info if I've missed your point completely. :-)

Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By easy_to_learn on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 11:00 am:

Gary
Thank you for saving me---
I have already Put some of those files in
"My Recycle Bin"
If you would be so kind--to tell me
how to Put them BACK where they belong-
I Promise I will never search-flux Le - Again!!!
What a Doofus!!!
Thank you in Advance if you can Help me!
Lois

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gary Bucher on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 01:01 pm:

Lois,

Anyone who's willing to ask questions and learn from her mistakes, or those made by others (that's where I come in), is definitely not a Doofus. Just remember what it says on TNC's home page: "I'm a Newbie - not a dummy! Just show me how."

:-)

As for putting those files back where they belong, try this. On your desktop, right-click on the recycle bin icon and click on Open. A window will open containing the files you've moved to the recycle bin. If there are just a few, you should be able to right-click on each one, and then click Restore. This will restore the file to its original location.

If there are a lot of files listed, press Ctrl-A. That's a keyboard shortcut that tells you to hold down the Control key (lower-left or lower-right portion of keyboard) and press the letter A at the same time. Pressing Ctrl-A will highlight all of the files listed in your recycle bin. Next right-click anywhere in the blue highlighting and click restore. This will restore all the files at the same time.

(By the way, Ctrl-A works in just about any window including your browser. It's great for copying multiple files simultaneously.)

If you have any problems with this, email me directly for a speedier response, or go ahead and post here.

Good luck!

Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Frank Lavallee on Tuesday, November 21, 2000 - 07:43 am:

If you really want to clean out a ton of trash files and regain some of that precious hard drive space and make your computer run better, go into "Start", "Find, Files And Folders"(make sure "Include Subfolders" is checked) and delete everything that appears under the following:

c:\windows\temp

c:\temp

*.tmp

*.chk

mscreate.dir

~*.*

_*.*

*.??~

*.??_

Empty the Recycle Bin and defrag your hard drive afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By C J on Friday, December 01, 2000 - 04:13 pm:

What is "backweb" I believe that's the name of it. I was thinking about deleting it. Can I? I have looked for it, but it makes no sense to me. If I delete this, is it ok. Or does it have a purpose that I'm nor aware of?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 09:41 pm:

I have a personal firewall and I have been getting warnings"Log file is big" I found the log file and it is 1,600 files BIG. I want to delete these files but can't do it anyway but one at a time. Can you help me? Please!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Tuesday, January 16, 2001 - 01:22 am:

RE: Your BIG file;
Try this, highlight the top file, then hold down the shift key and click the bottom file.
This should highlight all files in the folder.
Right click and select and click delete.

HTH

Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By al perkins on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 11:26 am:

Question?
To save part of screen use PrtScrn which moves it to Note Pad. How to print it out from Note Pad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 02:27 pm:

To print from notepad, choose "File, Print."

Josh

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page