Opening files or programs.

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Opening files or programs.
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
AmiPro files  1   03/05 07:44pm
Opening .bmp files??  2   12/20 05:06pm
Opera hi-jacked my jpg files  2   07/11 06:27pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bunky on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 04:30 pm:

This is my first attempt at posting on a bulletin board. Please be considerate.
My problem is opening files and/or programs on my computer. There are many files that I can not identify. I don't know what they are or where they came from. When I click on one of these icons to open the file I am taken to the "open with" window. In this window I am supposed to pick from a list and choose the program I want to use to open the other program.
I do not have a clue as to which program to pick. I do not know what most of these programs are or where they came from. I need to find out about how to match up the left hand with the right hand. And I don't know how to find out about either the right hand or the left hand.
Can anyone help? All the tutorials I have found lead me to the point of the "open with" window. None explain what to do beyond this point. I need the information to go beyond this point.
If it matters I am using Windows 95 on this machine. However I have used Windows 98 and have the same problem there.
Can anyone help. Thanks. Bunky

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 05:51 pm:

Bunky

You're having the same problem as Dave in the thread above. It's not difficult to fix. What are the last three letters after the dot in the filenames?

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bunky on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 06:23 pm:

Further information as requested by Jamie McArdle above. One file is called Folder.htt this file extension takes me to the "open with" window.
I also have others with extentions such as .ptc or .bkg that take me to a different window called "Program Not Found" which says it can not find Program.exe and this file is needed to open PCT type files.
I hope this is not mixing apples with oranges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 07:19 pm:

Hi Bunky

Htt is to do with Hyperterminal and will be in your Program files folder. It needs to be there so I would just leave it.

I've never come across the others before. So a little bit of guesswork is required.

Have you removed some graphics software recently, because I reckon the PCT files are graphics files? Highlight the file by clicking once. Press and hold the shift key, then right click and the file and select Open With. Select Paint (or MSPaint or Paintbrush)and see if that works. If it does, repeat the process above and this time tick the always open with box (make sure it's not ticked the first time you try it). I would also guess that the bkg is an automatic backup file from the same program. Do you see a lot of them with the same names as the PCT files? If so, that's probably what they are. Try the same as above with the bkg files.

Couple of suggestions. Go to www.completelyfreesoftware.com and download a graphics program (Satori is good). During installation, the program will establish file associations and this might take care of the pct/bkg files if the MSPaint didn't work.

Alternatively, create a new folder and move all of the files to it (not the HTT files). Ignore it for a couple of weeks, and if everything is working normally, just delete them.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bunky on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 08:54 pm:

More information for Jamie...Yes I have recently removed graphics from this computer. We have two computers and my wife uses a lot of graphics but she is now using the new computer. I am attempting to clean up the old one and get it running better.
I have two hard drives C and D. All of this information pertains to D drive. I have made a list of the files which I can not open.
This first group goes to the window called "Open With" and the file endings are as follows..... .fta .ffx .mjs .htt and also Icq which has no dot or file ending at all but just the file name of Icq

The second group goes to the window called "Program Not Found" and the file endings are as follows: .bkc .bkg .ptc .vsl .diz

There is another group which go to a window called "Internet Connection Wizard" and says this is not a type of file that can be processed by the Internet Connection Wizard. These file endings are as follows: .brc

There is another group which goes to a window called "Microsoft Graph" which says this program can only run from within another program. These file endings are as follows: .tls .fsc

I guess I should have been better prepared for the original question. I think that has all of D drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Saturday, November 11, 2000 - 10:49 am:

Bunky

It looks like the graphics program wasn't properly uninstalled and that's why you've got all this stuff left over. My point re. deleting them still holds, but seeing as there are so many, leave them sitting in the folder for longer than a couple of weeks to see if they're necessary.

As for the extensions, I would guess that fta and ffx (particularly - often used to depict effects -fx) are graphics files. Mjs, I don't know, possibly related to Javascript .

Htt, I've already mentioned.

ICQ is a remnant from the ICQ chat program.

The "program not found" ones are probably related to your graphics program. The diz file is a zip information file which would suggest you downloaded a program in Zip format and this is left over from that.

The Internet Connection Wizard files are probably best left alone.

The tls and fsc files are program files that relate to a particular function of a program and can only be used by that program when it is running. Unless you know what that program is, leave them alone. If you uninstall the program, they'll be taken care of then by the uninstall process.

If any of the files are taking up significant space and you're certain you want to get rid of them, move them to another folder as described and eventually delete them. But make sure you wait a sufficient time and that you've used most of the programs on your D drive before doing so. If they're important files, your computer will eventually let you know.

HTH

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 01:21 am:

RE: opening programs;

First of lets clear something up here,,, there is a definate difference between opening programs and attempting to open files that you probably shouldn't be messing around with in the first place!

Caution is needed here!

When you are browsing through your computer using Window Explorer you will see all of the folders, files, and executabe programs that are in "My Computer" (your computer) If you see a file that has a "windows flag" as an icon, that is a file that is associated with an executabe program you don't need to open these files normally.
To find the executabe program, look for the .exe extension, this will normally be identified further by a special logo icon that is associated with the program.

If you want to create a shortcut for a program on your desk top, locate the executable program file in windows explorer, right click on it and look down the "pop-up" menu and find 'send to...' then 'send to desktop as shortcut' this will place an icon on your desktop that you can click to open that particular program.

Normally, if you click on a file in windows explorer and see "Open with" at the top of the pop-up menu, DON'T try to open it. Unless you are a program developer this will usually just cause you problems. If you insist on opening the file because of an inherent curiosity, you will notice in the next dialogue box a check box that will ask if you want to open this type of file with this program always, make sure this is UNCHECKED. You can then open it with notepad or wordpad and see what all the jiberish is and satisfy your curiosity without dis-associating the file from it's parent program.

Happy clicking;
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bob Groleau on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 08:18 am:

In Windows 98 and Second Edition, when you open windows Explorer, it defaults to show the C: drive in the window. In Windows Millennium Edition, when you open Windows Explorer, it defaults to show My Documents and if you want to see the c: drive or any other drive you have to click the little down arrow and select the drive you want to see. My question is; can I change this to default to the C: drive like windows 98 does? I access the C: drive allot through windows explorer which I have a shortcut to on my desktop and those few extra steps that you have to go through can be a real pain sometimes. This is my first time using this forum. I hope I haven't been too long winded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Suzy Lowen on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 07:07 am:

I have a question? I did something real wrong, but I don't know what I did.After I down load ,anything,I can't open it up on my desk top. I get ERROR Access to the specified path,or file is denied. Unable to excute the spec. command line. The only thing I did,was in Netscape,was by mistake changed zip file to go to disk. I changed it back ,but NOTHING will set-upExplorer will, but nothing I down load. It was OK before, no problem. Do I have to set-up my computer again? I mean Put the Win.98 disk back in.??? HeLP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 05:03 pm:

Suzy:
Try re-installing "Win Zip"
It sounds to me that maybe win zip got uninstalled or moved and most downloads require to be "Unzipped".
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By art follis on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 08:25 pm:

what and where is the [ole automation ] program ... i have no idea what it is, what it is supposed to do, where i can call it up,or even if its necessary .. any body know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lee on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 09:28 pm:

Hi, I have a new computer, and I want to download a ram file, but I'm not able to play it. How do I take a ram file thats downloaded and play it.The company that I'm downloading from uses real player.This is an audio file I'm trying to play and listen to. I have media player 7 and It will not play it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 10:00 pm:

Lee:

You will need the Real Player to be able to play ram (real audio media). You can get the free version from http://www.real.com
Just be sure to look for Real Player 8 BASIC, because that is the free one.

Josh Lowe
http://www.dyno-mite.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 12:56 pm:

Infranview vs Adobe - Infranview is great but having problem. New Computer & until a couple days ago when I downloaded graphics they were viewed in Infranview. Now for some reason they all open in adobe (which is not my fav at all)Also when I open Infranview, it says cannot access - file not found - have winzip _ unzipped it etc. Uninstalled & reinstalled. Can't find any choices on either as far as default. Very frustrated as can't get banners on my page! Is this an Adobe conspiracy?!

My husband did download something (always putting new stuff in) & wonder if that screwed it up?
Thanks Candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 05:35 am:

Hi Candy,
I also think Infranview is a great program, if you want to get it back as your default viewer try this, open Infranview then click on options,
next click properties, next click extensions tab.

There you can put a check mark in the file extension that you want Infranview to open
.jpg,.gif,.bmp,ect.

When done click OK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 12:57 pm:

A followup to Candy's dilemma... many programs, when first installed, seek to "capture" file associations. For example, ACDSee (from www.acdsystems.com) will take over all the possible graphics file extensions if you let it. So be careful when you install a new program. It may associate all gif, jpg, bmp, tif, etc etc with its little self, and your favorite viewer is left behind. You may be able to re-associate file extensions with your favorite viewer, depending its "smarts."

--Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dumas on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 06:26 pm:

Somewhere on here I thought I saw a product for opening files. It was something that had to be purchased. I can't find anything like that now. Does anyone know where I might find this. If Newbie doesn't have it, then I need information about which one might be the easiest (for a newbie) to work with. Several people have told me that I need to purchase/install a program to open ZIP files.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:36 pm:

Dumas,

You can open .zip files with a zip program. You need a zip program to be able to do that.

Here is one that the newbie club supports... I have never used it, so I am not familiar with it:

http://www.unzipsoftware.com/newbieclub/index.htm

Here is another zip program:

http://www.winzip.com

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dragoll on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 02:33 am:

I have looked around but couldn't find the answer.
I like WinZip but when I downloaded it I haven,t had it come up. I get my windows ME unzipper instead. I would like to know how to make my WinZip my default zip. Can any one help? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 02:42 pm:

Dragoll:

Find a zip file that you would like to open. Click ONCE on the file. Hold down the shift key. While holding the shift key, right-click on the zip file and choose "open with..." from the options. (If you are using ME (not me but millenium edition :), you might not have to right-click to get the open with choice. However, the menu will open very slowly with ME, not sure why.)

A box will open with a list of programs. Scroll to the bottom and look for winzip. Click on winzip, then put a checkmark in the box that says "always use this program to open this type of file". Then click OK. That will open your zip file with winzip, and should allow you to just double-click a zip file in the future and have winzip handle it.

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dragoll on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 10:34 pm:

Josh thanks:O) Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

When I download a program an msdos window opens which asks if I want to overwrite various files.
Tried answering Y and then tried N both times no result/option except to close window. I found the .exe file and installed it, but when I try to open it I'm back at that msdos window. Can anyone tell me what's happening here and how I can get the program to run in windows? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 06:26 pm:

Mary:

The program has been installed, and you are starting up the program from the windows start menu? Are you sure the program you installed is made to run in windows? Are you using windows ME?

Josh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mary on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 04:13 pm:

Hi Josh. Thanks for reply. I have win98se. Anyway yesterday I was looking in Windows folder in Explorer for something else and there was this program. So I tried it one more time and it came up! It's so hokey tho - a very limited dos like screen - difficult to move the cursor on. I ended up recycling it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tina Myers on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 05:47 pm:

Hi. I have a question about opening files that end with .pps. I know it's a slideshow, but I don't know what program to open it with. When I try to open it, I get that "open with" box where you have to pick which program to open the file with. Also, I was playing around with it, trying to open it with different programs, and I forgot to UNcheck that little box that says "always open this type of file with this program" or something to that effect...now I don't get the "open with" box anymore when I try to open that file...it just automatically tries to open it with the last program I tried...and of course, that's the wrong one! Does anyone know how to fix this?!!
Thanks,
Tina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 10:30 pm:

I would guess that .pps is a Power Point Slideshow. Anyone care to correct me? If you haven't installed Power Point, it's a part of the Microsoft Office Suite of products, and will set you back about $300 plus.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tina Myers on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 02:56 am:

Hi Tom,
You're right about .pps being a Power Point Slideshow. When my husband got home, I asked him about it and he said that's what it is. He has Powerpoint on his computer, so I forwarded the file to him and we watched it on his computer.
But I'm still left with the problem of how to "disassociate" .pps files from the wrong program, since I forgot to uncheck that little box! If it's something that is irreversible, you would think a little warning box would pop up or something, asking you if you were sure you wanted to do that. Actually, why do they have that box automatically checked anyway, when the consequences of forgetting to uncheck it are such a pain in the rear?!!
Tina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By smatlock on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 06:11 pm:

I am working on setting up a store/shopping cart on my site and I downloaded the software and it says to unzip the file and it will give me a directory that contains all of the necessary files. Then I am suppose to upload this entire directory to my /cgi-bin. All of these files MUST be transferred in ASCII mode, the only exceptions to this are the files contained in the directory /store/html/images which need to be transferred in BINARY mode. I have no idea how to transfer any of these modes I am currently using windows 98 any help would be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 01:45 pm:

Does anyone know how to open a PIZ file? Someone e-mailed me an attachment of this. when I opened properties it said piz file. I tried renaming to zip but still couldn't open. shows an icon that look like a computer. Friend is new also and didn't know how to open

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 02:26 pm:

According to http://www.filext.com (where you can look up odd file extensions) it's a saved game file from Pizza Connection (Virgin Interactive Entertainment), or a music score file for Pizzicato Music Score program.

Do either of these sound likely?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 03:09 pm:

The piz file I got is a game file.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 12:18 pm:

You'll need the game to open it then - Pizza Connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lynne L. on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 01:58 am:

Hi......

I was poking around on the TNC board this am and trying different things discussed here. Now I have a white bar that looks something like a task bar only it's white, across my laptop screen. I have my task bar along the left side instead of the bottom. Also I have a PowerPoint Viewer problem, I downloaded it to read .pps and it has taken over my computer. a simple document will open it it and I can't modify the document in any way without first copying and starting a new doc...If anyone can help I'd appreicate it...
Lynne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 01:38 pm:

PowerPoint - sounds like it's taken over! Some programs automatically assume that you want to open certain file types with them, even if you don't.

Choose a file that's opening with powerpoint, but you want to open with something else, and right-click it. Choose "open With". Scroll down the list until you see the program you want, and click on it to select. Make sure the little box just under the list is ticked - "always use this to open these files". Click "OK".

(If the program you want isn't in the list, choose Browse and search for the .exe file for the program you want.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 01:44 pm:

If you right-click your task bar, and then choose "Toolbars", see which ones are ticked. There may be an extra one that you don't use. If so, uncheck it to get rid of it till you want it again.

If you don't want your taskbar where it is, right-click and make sure "Lock the Task bar" isn't ticked (if it is, click it to unlock it), and then you can drag it to where you want it. You may have to try grabbing it in different places to move it. When it's where you want it, you can right-click and choose "Lock taskbar" so you don't move it by mistake.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page