Cannot open a spreadsheet workbook in MS Excel 97

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Cannot open a spreadsheet workbook in MS Excel 97
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:59 am:

Hi gang, I'm a "newbie" to the "newbie" forum discussion board. I have a wee problem. I was able to open an excel 97 spreadsheet workbook from my floppy drive the other day. Today I try to open it and it just grunts and groans and finally an error pops up that says" cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you are trying to access a read-only location. or the server the document is stored on may not be responding." I know is is not a read-only file since I created it myself. I have looked everywhere for help on the Microsoft website and found nothing. This is my last hope. There is very important stuff on this workbook and I really need to access it. Whatever could be the problem here? Please anyone advise. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 02:44 pm:

Look at the back of your floppy disk - there should be a little black slider-switch at the top left. If the slide is up, it's write protected - but you should still be able to read. Try moving it to the down position to see if that helps. Is the drive making the noises? Like a regular clicking? It could simply be that the disk has failed - if you have access to another PC, try reading it and see if it works. If it does, it might be your floppy drive that the problem.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page