My words disappeared

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: My words disappeared
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jeanne Ambrose on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 05:58 pm:

Aaargh. I saved a few hours worth of work to the file I started out with. I renamed the file. Saved it to Drive A. Then I also copied it to my Briefcase on the desktop. I deleted the previous version. Then, I opened the renamed version just to satisfy my paranoia, and sure enough the renamed version was only half full. Everything I had typed into the Word file that day was gone.
Where did it go? What did I do? I want it baaack. I opened the document in the Recycle bin and it, too, was the "before" version.
since I've lost things this way before, I was sure to "save" every 20 minutes or so.
What do I do now? We're talking The Great American Novel here. I lost a good part of a chapter.
Can you help? I'd love to retrieve the info (yes, I've done the Find file search with no luck)...but at the very least I want to know how to prevent it from happening again.
Thanks.
Jeanne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, February 05, 2001 - 11:47 pm:

Jeanne:

What about the copy saved to floppy? And the one in the breifcase was old also? Sounds like something wasn't getting saved right.

If you are planning on renaming it, then do that from the start. When you open the document, go to file/save as.../new name. Then, every time it is saved, it will save to that new file. (The old one will still be there.)

Instead of dragging to the briefcase, try save as... and save in breifcase. Same with floppy. Save as... /3.5 floppy. That should be saving correctly.

As for retrieving the old information:
If you have opened all the files associated with what you were working on and did not find the data, then it is most likely gone.

Josh

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page