Organization first!

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Organization first!
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Ah yes, organization is a wonderful thing........  1   01/05 06:16am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By catchup on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 10:41 am:

The biggest problem people have about files and there whereabouts is they just don't have any file system to start with.
When you save a new file, whether it's something from the Internet or a document you have created with a word processor of a photo editor, always name it something that you can recognize and put it in a folder where you can find it. You can always make a new folder, put a folder inside a folder, group folders by subject or a specific project.
I have seen many a computer that looked like a tornado went through it. Think about your computer like you are looking at your desk. If everything on your desk is all piled up all over the desktop eventually you can't find your desk.
Organize, organize, organize.
Same thing with your Favorite places. You can create groups of folders organized by subject matter. That way when you go to search for a file or folder you will be looking for a specific subject matter, not a file named something like doc00351200898.doc or some other non sensicle determination.
Same with downloaded files. You can rename them before you download them with a name that means something to you.
I had the dubious honor to work on a machine one time that had at least 15,000 open files floating around in the root directory. The guy just couldn't understand why he couldn't find anything that he knew he had!
More later
Catchup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By D Reuby on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 05:04 pm:

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't use c:/windows/program files to install all programs?

I'm hampered by my DOS upbringing, and I still install a program, and its data and support files, into a directory of its own, with a name that tells me what's in it. So I've got Word in word, and Excel in excel, etc, with subdirectories for whatever data files I need.

I just can't see the logic of the Win95/98 "Program Files" directory!

Please tell me I'm not alone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 05:31 pm:

The logic in using the default storage area is that it makes installing updates easy. If the software designer wants to make it something other than Program Files, I have no problem with that. But setting your own directories works just as well - providing you remember what it is.

On a completely unrelated note, if you know DOS you probably understand batch files. If so, take a look at Fred Langa's cleanup batch files at www.langa.com - very handy utility but not recommended for newbies.

Cheers

Jamie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Catchup on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 08:20 am:

D Reuby;

Yes, unfortunately you probably are very lonely in this...

It has been so long since I've used a dos window I sometimes forget where it is.

Windows will do a fine job of installing programs and you can still control where the file will be installed if you want to.

If you get used to it you will be just as spoiled as the rest of us

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Rene Khoury on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 12:58 am:

Hello, could someone please tell me how to store a picture after I scan it. I need to sell some things on eBay.
I don't have an HTML address, perhaps I can learn that next.
THANKS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, December 09, 2000 - 02:40 am:

Rene,

Are you using a Photo Editor to scan your pictures? If so, there should be someplace where you can click on "save as". A window will open asking you to name the file, select an extension (I use .jpg) and where you want to store it. I use "My Pictures", but you can open a new folder if you want to and name it anything you would like. An easy way to do it is to right click on an empty spot on your desktop, select "new" and "folder", then when the folder appears like magic on your desktop, type in the name you want it to be. That makes it very easy to find whenever you need it, not hiding someplace where you have to use Windows Explorer to find it.

If you happen to have MSPictureIt, I can give you more exact steps as that is the Photo Editor I use, but any photo editor should work much the same way.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dale on Friday, December 07, 2001 - 07:41 pm:

I hope someone can help me with this.
I have several large files containing pictures of various trips I have taken, and another file containing many pictures of my granchildren. Instead of trying to name each individual picture, I numbered them. However, the numbers are all jumbled within the file. Instead of starting with 1 and staying in order. Is there any way to keep the numbers in order within the file ? Using the "Arrange Icons" thing doesn't work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 08:02 pm:

Dale,

In reference to your question of 12/7/01 11:41 AM, if you number the pictures 01xxx,02xxx,03xxx,etc and then sort by filename, they should be in numerical order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 06:22 pm:

Recently l found l could not open my jpeg`s. My gifs open perfectly. A friend suggested that l press Shift then right click the jpeg and select Open With and l selected Kodac for example and it opened with that. But l don`t understand what happened l never had to do this before l just clicked on my different files and they just opened.
If anyone out there has any suggestions l would certainly appreciate it. Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 05:32 pm:

Linda, do you want to be able to use kodak to open the files all the time?

If so, right-click and choose open with.
Select Kodak, but don't click the ok button yet. Check the box that says "use this program to open these type of files in the future".

Then, you will only have to double-click the file to get it to open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 08:16 pm:

Some my files have a thn extension beside them. Is it possible to change it to a jpeg. Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 09:33 pm:

I don't know what thn is. If they are images, you can try changing the extension to jpg and see if they open under that...dunno.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda on Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 02:07 am:

Josh thn came from a program l downloaded called Graphic Workshop Professional. I would like to change them to a jpeg however if l can.
Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 05:17 am:

Linda,

The extension .thn is for a Thunbnail which is probably associated with the Graphic Workshop Professional program, if you double click on one and it opens as a graphic file you should be able to change the extension to .jpg like Josh stated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 04:25 pm:

My thn file is a graphic file. But the point is l cannot open it at all......Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 05:38 pm:

Linda,

somehow the program associations got mixed up. Do this to get it set right:

1 - Click one time with the left mouse button on any thn file.
2 - Click and hold down the shift key.
3 - Click one time on the file with the right mouse button.
4 - A menu will open. Left-click on the option that says "open with..."
5 - A window will open with a list of programs. Scroll in the list until you find Graphic Workshop Professional.
6 - Click one time on that with the left mouse button.
7 - Put a checkmark in the box that says "Always open this type of file with this program" or something similar to that.
8 - Click the OK button.

This should open the file with Graphic Workshop Pro. From now on, you should just be able to double-click on any thn file, and it will automatically open with GWP.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page