Deleting info from a rented computer

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Deleting info from a rented computer
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Office 2000 Eraser  1   01/12 03:05pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, July 14, 2001 - 02:16 pm:

I have been renting a computer for about a month while mine is being repaired. How do I make sure that everything I have put on it is deleted? When I use the add/remove programs, sometimes it says that all files were not removed and I should do them manually. Is that thru explorer or going into the chaz: drive? Plus, some things that ended up on my desktop are not always in the add/remove. And just sending them to the recycle bin does not necessarily delete everything, does it? There is a "go-back", but it only shows going back four days, so that isn't much help.

thanks,
chaz .... also, just curious, I was going to post this in "general discussion" , but, I could not find the "create new conversation" button that was mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Sunday, July 15, 2001 - 10:42 am:

Chaz:

The main concern you should have is not the programs being removed, but removing the data you have put on the computer. After removing all of the programs that you plan to remove, open My Documents, and delete anything of yours in there. Then, start up windows explorer (start/programs/windows explorer). Click the plus sign next to the C drive, and delete any folder in the list that you put on the computer (be careful doing this, if you don't know what a folder is, leave it alone. The only places to look are in the folders that drop when clicking on the plus by C, and then click the plus next to program files and go through that.

Next, open internet explorer, Go to tools, internet options, and delete temporary files and delete history. Now, open windows explorer again, and go to C, windows, temporary internet files. On the right pane, you will see some cookie files, that look like text files. Delete all of those.

Next, double-click my computer, double-click Dial up networking. Remember to delete any dial-up account you have setup...but when you do, you will loose internet connection.

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, July 16, 2001 - 09:48 am:

Josh:

Thanks Josh...that was a big help. I knew I was forgetting something and it was going back into explorer again and deleting the cookies.

chaz

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page