Save versus save as

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Save versus save as
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:44 pm:

Is this so simple, I'm making it hard. I still don't get the difference between the two. And sometimes only one of them is highlighted.

tks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 09:31 pm:

You save an existing document. You use "save as" to save a document under another name or to save it for the first time.

For example, I open notepad and type "hello." I want to use "save as" because I have never saved this file before. It pops open the window for me to type in a name and choose Save.

Now, let's say I open "hello.txt" in notepad, and I change the text to say "goodbye." I would now click File/SAVE, because the document has already been created, only the changes need to be saved.

But, if I didn't want to change hello.txt information to "goodbye", but wanted to create another file, I would choose File/SAVE AS, and type in a new name and click save. That leaves hello.txt unmodified, and now goodbye.txt contains the new information.

Hope that helps,

Josh Lowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

Yes it does....Thank you very much Josh !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By carolb on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 06:30 pm:

I have many "jokes" from e-mails,and I have saved separately in My Documents. How do I get them into a joke folder or two?

Also, how do I save pictures sent in e-mails?

And one last question, I don't seem to have the words System Restore under Program Accessories. Does Synchronize mean the same thing???

Now you know what a true (Windows) dummy is!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 11:10 pm:

Carolb,

If you want to save your jokes in their own folder, but still in "My Documents", right click on an empty spot in "My Documents", you will get a fly-out menu, click on "New" then on "Folder", that will create a new folder within the "My Documents" folder, you must type in a name for the new folder, it will be selected (highlighted)then push "Enter" (keyboard). Then drag and drop the jokes into the new folder. (left click, hold and drag, then release when they are over the new folder). You can create a new folder within a folder almost in any folder by doing the same thing. You can also create a new folder on your desktop by using the same procedure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 11:19 pm:

Carolb,
If the e-mail pictures are an attachment, just click on the "paperclip" (upper right corner of the e-mail) and then on "Save Attachment". If they are only in the body of the message (inserted), right click on the picture and then on "Save picture as.., navigate to where you want them to go, and click on "save". You can right click on most pictures or "Gifs" on a web page and save them too if you desire.

As for the "System Restore" not being there, don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I don't have it either. I am using W98SE, maybe someone else can clue us in.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page