HOW DO I OPEN A .DAT FILE

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Files: HOW DO I OPEN A .DAT FILE
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 07:45 am:

I recently received an attachment from a relative that pertained to the family genealogy. It had the extension .dat on it. I assume that this is something formatted by Word Perfect and I am running Windows 98 with Office 97 with Word on it. Is it possible for me to open it? I can't seem to find out how. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

Anon:

Try two things:

First, start up your word program. Click File Open. Make sure the bottom select menu is on "files of all types (*.*)". On the top select menu, choose the directory the .dat file is stored in, then choose the file, and choose open. See if it can open/convert it.

If that doesn't work, try opening the file with your genealogy program the same way you did with Word. Click file/open, files of all types, open the dat file.

Unfortunately, micro$oft believes they have the only software on the planet, which means that Word does not operate well with files created with other programs. However, wordperfect is great at it. So, if all that fails, ask your friend to save the file in another format.

Josh Lowe

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page