Cleaning Out the Trash

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: This is for Kay re deleting files: Cleaning Out the Trash
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ken on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

I've downloaded a couple of freeware Temp Cleaners and am trying to determine which files can be safely deleted. I saw Fank Lavalle's reference to a helpful article in his Dec 13, 2000, reply to Kay, but that site is no longer available. The two file extension types that these cleaners have found and identified as being cleanable are *.TEMP (or *.temp) and *.BAK (or *bak). I gather from the research that I have done in magazine archives that both of these extensions are deletable. But I'm hoping someone will confirm this. (I checked a website that gives extensions and know they stand for Temporary and Back Up). However, both these Temp Cleaning programs identify other types as also being deletable (though none found on my computer), such as *.OLD, *.$ab, *.chk, and *.db$.
Whether the article mentioned by Frank would have helped me, I don't know. However, I am hoping he or another knowledgeable site user will see this and give me the info I am looking for.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page