Add / Remove programs app

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Add / Remove programs app
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 07:24 am:

Hi all..maybe someone can tell me of a utility that will delete a program off the add / remove programs app. once I've deleted a program. I ve used the app on quite a few programs I've deleted, but the program name itself stays in the add / remove pane. any suggestions?...Thanks!!
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By glenn on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 04:04 pm:

Hmmmmm, nobody knows how to do this? :-)...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 10:54 pm:

Hi Glenn,

I use Add/Remove Pro, which is a freeware app that I find slightly more useful than the Win add/remove. It has a facility to remove any apps that you've deleted and that remain on the list.

The home page is http://superwin.com/ ands it's also on several freeware sites.

Dianne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 11:21 pm:

Thanks, Dianne..I'll try it out! Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 03:27 am:

I downloaded the "AddremovePro" from superwin.com today, installed it and ran it. It did identify which ones were inactive by placing a big red X in front of them (but I already knew which ones were uninstalled). However when I highlighted the item and clicked on "Remove",(per instructions) it gave me a little window saying "Invalid Name File, cannot locate". I have about a dozen uninstalled programs that still show as being there. This program would not remove a single one of them. Am I doing something wrong or is this a lame program?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 07:01 pm:

Richard, I also am having the same problem. I've only had this app for a day so I really haven't had time to dig into it. If I find the answer to this I'll post it. Have a great day! Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 09:53 pm:

Glenn,

After reading Tom's glowing report on this same program in the latest Newbie News, I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if it works differently on different machines. I am using W98SE on a 3 year old IBM Aptiva. I uninstalled the program, but if you find a way to make it work as advertised, I will reinstall.
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 03:27 am:

Richard,

I just read Tom's report today and I'm as confused as you! I'm also on win98 on a p.c. about 4 years old. I'm going to play around with it tonight because I find it really annoying that these things wont go away!..*L*...Thanks for the feedback!
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 07:20 am:

Glenn,
I just sent a message to Tom, asking him about this, maybe he can tell us what is going on.
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tom Glander on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 07:36 am:

Hi Glenn and Richard,

My report on the program was based on its ability to remove existing programs nicely, and its increased functions over the standard Windows app. However, I have the same problem you both have... I get the same error message you guys get when I try to remove the apps with red Xs by them. Don't know what's up with that... but the rest of the prog works fine, even better (in my estimation) than the Windows standard.

Mystery? Yup. But that's the fun of messing with computers. I suspect the reason is a missing pointer in the Registry, but don't know at this time how to remedy this. (BTW, "missing pointer" is my own term for some rather gnarly techie speak I can't remember.)

Hope this helps some,

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 08:02 am:

Thanks Tom,
Now that I know that it is not just happening to me, I guess the thing to do is to write to the creators of the program and ask them what the deal is. Maybe they don't know that it won't remove uninstalled items from the list (even though it says it will). Think I will drop them a line.
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 08:29 am:

I just sent this message to the provider of Add/Remove Pro, superwin@superwin.com if I get a reply, I will post it here:
Next Page....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 08:31 am:

2d part
Sir,
I recently downloaded the free version from your site of ADD/REMOVE PRO v2.05
It says that it will remove items from the list that have been uninstalled but still show on the list. I, and several others have attempted to do this with negative results. When I select an item that has already been uninstalled but still shows on the list then click on "Remove" a little window pops up and says "invalid file name, cannot locate", and the item remains right where it was. It was my understanding that this program would remove those left behind names on the list in the Add/Remove window. After repeated attempts to remove about a dozen of these items from the list with no success, I gave up.
Can you provide me with some insight if I am doing something wrong or if, in fact, this program does not do what I thought it said it would do?
Thank You,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 09:44 am:

Hi All,
Tweakui from microsoft will remove left over program names in the add & remove console.
It will do a lot more also, so if you use it be careful what you change. If you decide to uninstall it you have to set everything back to the original settings because you won't be able to after you uninstall.

http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Glenn on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 07:28 pm:

Hi Richard, Tom, Anon,

Cool richard!, You dont waste time huh?..*L*. ANON> I've had tweakUI for a couple of years now..mine was buried deep in my win98 CD, and microsoft wouldn't support it. The url you gave will most likely be a newer version that what I have.Now I'm thinking..between the two apps, we just might have this covered..Just a note to anyone else reading these posts..tweakUI will do some serious rearranging of the registry..use with caution!But it is a cool utility!

Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 03:55 am:

Glenn, Tom and whoever might be interested. I received a reply from the author of Add/Remove Pro, Here it is:
What it is doing is running Uninstall Program when you
click on Remove Entry. It does not do that for me or for
most people. I do not know why it does that for the few
people that it does. It doesn't do it in RegVac, which
basically has the same thing.
Yesterday I posted a different Add/Remove Pro file hoping
to correct that. I haven't heard if it works or not. So,
please try downloading Add/Remove Pro again from our
website. It is still version 2.05.

Regards,
Ray Geide
Super Win Software, Inc.
http://www.superwin.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 03:58 am:

I downloaded the new one, but it did the same thing as the first one, I notified the author of his failure to fix it, he replied again:
OK, I figured it out. I have fixed it and have uploaded it. I promise that this one will work. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Ray Geide
Super Win Software, Inc.
http://www.superwin.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 04:09 am:

OK, after the third download the program works as advertised, I have successfuly removed all of those irritating stay behind vestiges of programs that I have uninstalled from my Add/Remove window. So, for anyone desiring to get rid of those stubborn names on the list, this is now the right program to download. I guess it must be true that it is "The squeaking wheel that gets greased". Mr Geide is to be applauded for responding so promptly with a fix, unusual to say the least. I am once again a "Happy Camper" :o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dreuby on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 11:48 pm:

That's why I like freeware and shareware - not just because I'm mean and poor (OK, that too!) but because the authors are more interested in their customers than the big guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 02:23 am:

dreuby... you are so correct. I love the ability for small companies to give that "friendly neighbor" appeal. Sort of like Tom, too. Not that I am trying to score brownie points or anything....

And I have used TweakUI to remove the programs in the list, it has always worked well, but this program sounds like an easier to understand solution. Good job Richard getting the improvements done.

Josh

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page