Missing Shortcut

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Missing Shortcut
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Help, I lost my calculator and other stuff  1   03/04 06:59pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Loretta on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 02:30 am:

When I reboot there is a window on my desktop entitled "Missing Shortcut." Desktop icon I trashed, I believe. The window says, "Windows is searching for IAMSET~1.EXE. To locate the file yourself, click Browse." Neither that cute little flashlight nor I can find that file. I have gone to Find, Find can't find it. So, how do I find what is no longer there or must I live with this window for the rest of my life? Which may not be too long, this computer is aging me fast.

Loretta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie McArdle on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 04:20 am:

Loretta

Your computer is looking for a file that it thinks it should be launching at start up.

Try looking in your startup group using msconfig again. To the right of the program names in the list, you'll see the path (i.e. the route to the location of the file) that your computer is using. Find the reference to the file IAMSET~1.EXE (e.g. c:\windows\iamset\iamset~1.exe) and untick the relevant box. End of problem (or it should be).

Actually, it is a little unusual to see the ~ in the filename - this is only usually used in DOS where the filename exceeds 8 letters. So if it still behaves oddly, re-post (if you're not pushing up the daisies by then, that is! LOL).

Cheers

Jamie

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page