Photo House Takeover

TNC Discussion Board: Files, files, files: Photo House Takeover
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda James on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 01:10 am:

If anyone can help l would appreciate it. I recently installed Corel Word Perfect 8 on my computer. I went into one section which was the corel Photo House and was doing some painting there. The next time l went into My Documents all the icons there, that had to do with pictures came up as a Photo Shop Icons. How can l change them back. Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 04:05 am:

Linda,

Left click once on the file you want to open. It will now be high-lighted. Then, press and hold the SHIFT key while you right-click on the file.

In the options, you will find an "open with" selection. Choose that. That will give you the open with window. Then, select the program you want to open this type of file with, click it once, then check the "always use this program" box, and click on OK. That will re-associate that particular type of file with whatever you choose as the program to open it with, i.e., Internet Explorer or one of your graphics programs that you have on your machine. (other than Corel)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 11:44 pm:

Richard: Thanks for the advice. I tried to open in another window but l couldn`t get it to work. Any other ideas? Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 11:57 pm:

Richard: Maybe l didn`t explain things right. The problem is l want to get rid of the Photo House Icons that took over My Document Icons. There are hundreds of Paint Cans as Icons in my Documents and any other folder that has a graphic in it. HELP There must be a setting l can use to change the icon back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Josh Lowe on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 02:05 am:

Linda, what Icon did they have before?

What program would open when you wanted to view them? Or .. are you just wanting to change them to something besides that (hideously ugly) paint can icon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 03:10 am:

Josh: I guess it was the plain windows jpg icon. But l would like to replace it with anything right now. whenever l download a picture from Webshots and put it in my Documents it comes up with another paint can. Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 03:37 am:

SORRY JOSH: I WAS MISTAKEN IT WAS THE
"PRINT SHOP ICONS"
LINDA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 04:33 am:

Linda,

I had the same problem with an old version of PSP that took over all of my graphic files and made them only open in PaintShopPro. I tried the solution that I gave you, plus several people gave me suggestions including the Support people from PSP. None of them worked. Here is what I ended up doing, I uninstalled PSP, went to ConFigSafe and went to a date prior to the initial installation of PSP. That worked and was the only way I got control of my graphics. My ConFigSafe Icon is by the clock, it is a small PC with a big red check mark over it. If all else fails, this should work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 04:35 am:

Linda,

You can get to ConFigSafe this way, start/programs/configsafe/then read everything in the guide about going to a previous date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Linda on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 05:30 am:

Hi Richard: I used Find and also Run and still cannot find ConFigSafe. ?? Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:48 am:

Linda,
I am using W98SE and it is in my Program list. I just ran Find and it jumped right up there. I used all lower case, don't know if that makes any difference. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dolly Wilson on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 06:59 pm:

Richard/Linda,

Just wanted to mention, that I also am running Windows 98SE and I don't have config either.

Is there a difference perhaps between different versions that may be sold in U.S. and Canada?

Dolly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 05:10 am:

Linda/Dolly,
I am running W98SE on a 3 year old IBM Aptiva, maybe ConfigSafe is an IBM addition. I upgraded to SE, but it was there on W98 too.
I doubt that whether it is US or Canada would make any difference.

If Josh or Tom happens to see this thread, maybe he can enlighten us all about ConfigSafe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Richard on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 03:34 am:

Linda,
I just now remembered where you can get a program that will restore your file associations for you, go here and download the program, it is the very first one on the list.
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Tweekz.htm

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page